Filtering with Bonus as Main option

Filtering with Bonus as Main option

Postby Jerzy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:56 am

Stan,

We can select Separate Bonus or Bonus as Main option from Winning Numbers. It changes statistics in Winning Numbers Properties table and Analyzers, and changes the results of Simulation in Summary History. But with Bonus as Main some filters like O/E and L/H are unable to accept new settings, eg 6:2 Accept/Reject in my 6/45 + 2 bonus numbers lottery. Adjacent Numbers and Panel filter probably work OK, but Match Previous 5 rejects the jackpot even though I enter correct settings.

Bonus as Main option opens new possibilities providing all filter work OK. Which filters work OK right now? What are your plans regarding the filters which do not work with Bonus as Main?
Jerzy

Re: Filtering with Bonus as Main option

Postby stan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 am

which lottery do you play?
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Jerzy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Stan,
I play Australian Saturday Lotto, which is 6/45 + 2 bonus numbers lottery.
Jerzy

Postby stan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:57 pm

'bonus as main' feature was meant to give you a chance to analyze stats as if bonus number(s) were drawn as the main numbers. the count of numbers in package tickets remains the same when switching this feature on.
i can add the bonus number(s) to package tickets as well, but what would you do with filtered tickets that have more numbers than you can bet in your lottery?
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Jerzy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Stan,

Yes, I could play System 8, but it is more expensive than Standard game of 6 numbers in a combination. It might be a good idea, but right now I am not interested in it.

When you switch to Bonus as Main and use the Analyzer, which is in the Winning Numbers, you can invoke all filters that are available there, and they will work somehow. Filtering the package with 6 numbers combinations using the stats for 8 numbers combinations does not make sense. So I believed that EL5 creates additional package of 215,553,195 for 8/45 lottery in the memory, then filters this package and transforms the result into 6 numbers combinations. I noticed that before I run the Simulation with the Bonus as Main setting, the package of 215, 553,195 tickets must be created in the memory additionally to the main package of 8,145,060 and in the process of simulation it is compared with Winning Numbers data base which at that time has the format of 8 numbers in the combination.

Of course, such filtering would make sense only if you could transform the results of filtering 8 numbers combinations into 6 number combinations. It seems very difficult or impossible. But if it is impossible, the filters in the Analyzer,with the Bonus as Main setting, should be inactive and impossible to invoke. Otherwise the user can have wrong ideas about the Bonus as Main functionality.
Jerzy

Postby stan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:15 pm

it's the same as playing a keno lottery which draws e.g. 20 numbers but only 10 numbers are marked on a playslip.

yes, you're right. filtering from statistical tables in analyzer window is a bit confusing. but it does work. for example filtering odd/even ratio of 8:12 in keno lottery will accept all tickets with 10 numbers if 8 of those numbers are odd. the same applies to low/high.
the same applies to other analyzer table. if you select e.g. row #3 in winning numbers analyzer table and invoke package filtering, then a ticket will be accepted if and only if it has occurrence of 1 on the third row in the same statistical table when the package tickets are analyzed.
(odd/even + high/low and odd/even + sum root and high/low + sum root stats tables are an exception from this rule, in this case the filter attempts to compare the actual count of odd/high numbers in the filtered tickets instead of checking table row indexes)

i agree that it might seem confusing but i still think it's better than nothing (i.e. turning these filters off for keno and 'bonus as main' lotteries)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Jerzy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 am

Stan,

I am not against Bonus as Main feature. But I still do not understand how it works. Maybe I should experiment with it a bit more.
Jerzy

Postby Jerzy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:06 am

Stan,

You say that filtering from statistical tables in analyzer windows works, but it seems that it is true only for Separate Bonus mode .

I tested such filtering in the Bonus as Main mode to see if it preserves the last draw result in the package.

The last draw result was 5, 6, 19, 23, 35, 39 and bonus numbers 18 and 22. In the Bonus as Main mode it becomes 5, 6, 18, 19 22, 23, 35, 38.

Latest O:E ratio was 4:4.
Filtering Accept O:E 4:4 leaves 2,045,505 tickets. Winnings Checker reports jackpot present in the package 6 times and many lower prizes.
Latest L:H ratio was 5:3.
Filtering the full package (not prefiltered) with Accept L:H 5:3 leaves 605,682 tickets. Winnings Checker reports 3 jackpots in the package and lower prizes.
Filtering with the same L/H setting the package prefiltered with Accept O/E 4:4 gives 148,830 tickets. No jackpot ticket in it, some lower prizes present.

And if I filter full package with O/E + L/H Accept 4:4 - 5:3 there are 5,082 tickets left in the package. No jackpot ticket, some lower prizes only.

If I use Sum filter, Accept the latest sum of 166 - 70,911 tickets are left in the package but no jackpot ticket.

It is hard to believe that results are correct.

Help files do not provide enough information about Bonus as Main and do not explain what can be achieved with it.
Jerzy

Postby stan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:21 pm

you picked filters that compare apples with oranges to test the 'bonus as main' feature:)

- the sum of 8 winning numbers is 166. you can't pick just any 6 of those numbers and expect them to have the same sum. that's why the filter doesn't yield the jackpot winner

- filtering odd/even 4:4 means that the jackpot winner must have the 4 odd winning numbers. to make a complete ticket of six numbers you can pick the remaining 2 in 6 different ways from the 4 even ones. hence the 6 jackpot winners being reported - you actually check a six number ticket against 8 winning numbers.

- the same applies to low/high 5:3. jackpot winner must have 5 low winning numbers. to make a complete ticket of six numbers there are 3 high winning numbers to choose from, so three jackpot winners are being reported.

you'll get skewed results for all filters that depend on the count of numbers in the filtered tickets - odd/even, low/high, sum etc.
but if you analyze ticket numbers, pairs, triplets etc then the filter will produce more usable results.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Comments, suggestions, feature requests