Performance PC und Laptop

Performance PC und Laptop

Postby Meisterkeks » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:01 am

Hello,

I use ExpertLotto with the PC and additionally with the laptop, then I can create new filters and run calculations at the same time.

In the forum I found settings to optimize the performance. In essence, this is:
- Switch to Java Bit64
- Change to Expertlotto64
- Change of the file "expertlotto.conf": from J-Xms32m to J-Xmx6g

EL data on the PC:

Registered To: xxxxxx; Germany; xxx; Renewal
Expires on: 2018-09-13

Application Version: Expert Lotto 5.10 [180411]
Java Version: 1.8.0_161; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.161-b12
System Version: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; de_DE (expertlotto)
User Dir: C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\.expertlotto\release
Lottery name: Lotto 6 aus 49
Lottery dir: E:\Lotto Expert\Lotto 6 aus 49
Lottery URL: http://lotto.de

EL data on the laptop:

Registered To: xxxxxx; Germany; xxxx; Renewal
Expires on: 2018-09-13
Application Version: Expert Lotto 5.10 [180411]
Java Version: 1.8.0_161; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.161-b12
System Version: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; de_DE (expertlotto)
User Dir: C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\.expertlotto\release
Lottery name: Lotto 6 aus 49
Lottery dir: E:\Lotto Expert\Lotto 6 aus 49
Lottery URL: http://lotto.de

I mean, the speed of calculations with complex filters is pretty good. Does anyone have an idea / suggestion for further optimization?

Many Thanks.
Thank you

Best Regards!

Meisterkeks
Meisterkeks

Re: Performance PC und Laptop

Postby sandybridge » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:17 am

Meisterkeks, have you set up such settings for your laptop processor?

I mean these "numbers of threads" in the program settings

core2.jpg

here are characteristics of your CPU:

https://ark.intel.com/products/124967/Intel-Core-i5-8250U-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz
core1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sandybridge

Postby Meisterkeks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:08 am

Hello sandybridge,

thanks - my attitude is at 7. I will switch to 8.

My PC has probably only 4 - should I then reset to 4?

https://ark.intel.com/products/69114/Intel-Core-i5-3350P-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

Thank you

Best Regards!

Meisterkeks
Meisterkeks

Postby sandybridge » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am

Meisterkeks wrote:Hello sandybridge,

thanks - my attitude is at 7. I will switch to 8.

My PC has probably only 4 - should I then reset to 4?

Meisterkeks
yes of course, your processor just can not physically process more than 4 threads.
4 threads for it - this is the maximum quantity.

as I understand this, maybe Stan will explain better?
sandybridge

Postby tdnl46w » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:16 am

For the fastest calculations, you want to run a 64-bit OS with the 64-bit versions of Expert Lotto/Java, and utilize all available CPU cores. If you want to use other programs or browse the internet(etc.) while running CPU intensive calculations, you can divide up CPU core workloads. For instance. Setting EL to use 3 out of 4 CPU cores, frees up one core for use in other programs/processes.

My preference in Expert Lotto is to use all the CPU cores to save time. On my current system and EL configuration, I can still use and setup complex filters while running most calculations.

----

-> Change "expertlotto.conf" to higher ram allocation...

If your current EL setup runs filters/statistics that max out the default config ram, then allocating more ram will definitely help. I currently use the default configuration on an 8 GB ram system and have had zero issues.

----

For other optimizations,...
I would also check to make sure your system is running close to other similar systems(CPU benchmark speeds, etc.). This is to make sure there isn't something in your system that is slowing anything down, like driver conflicts, background processes or possible viruses.

Assuming the OS/hardware is not having any issues, then further optimization might depend on what EL filter(s) setups your are using. Working with EL for a while now, I found there are ways to increase some filtering speeds by at least 2x or more to get the same exact results.
tdnl46w

Postby Meisterkeks » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello,

thanks for the information.

tdnl46w wrote:For the fastest calculations, you want to run a 64-bit OS with the 64-bit versions of Expert Lotto/Java, and utilize all available CPU cores. If you want to use other programs or browse the internet(etc.) while running CPU intensive calculations, you can divide up CPU core workloads. For instance. Setting EL to use 3 out of 4 CPU cores, frees up one core for use in other programs/processes.

My preference in Expert Lotto is to use all the CPU cores to save time. On my current system and EL configuration, I can still use and setup complex filters while running most calculations.

For other optimizations,...
I would also check to make sure your system is running close to other similar systems(CPU benchmark speeds, etc.). This is to make sure there isn't something in your system that is slowing anything down, like driver conflicts, background processes or possible viruses.

I close all other programs (except EXCEL) when working with EL. I disable the internet connection. So I have all the power for EL. In principle, I can also record additional filters while calculating. But that works very, very slowly. This is not a problem with the laptop in parallel. :) .

tdnl46w wrote: Assuming the OS/hardware is not having any issues, then further optimization might depend on what EL filter(s) setups your are using. Working with EL for a while now, I found there are ways to increase some filtering speeds by at least 2x or more to get the same exact results.

Since I have to practice, the order or sorting of the filter to improve performance is still not clear to me.
Thank you

Best Regards!

Meisterkeks
Meisterkeks

Postby sandybridge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:00 pm

if it`s possible to optimize the programm algorithms EL under CUDA technology...
https://developer.nvidia.com/about-cuda
About CUDA | NVIDIA Developer
I think this would help speed up the calculations, but simply the CPU-processors were very slow for this
sandybridge

Postby tdnl46w » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 am

Hi Meisterkeks.

Meisterkeks wrote: Since I have to practice, the order or sorting of the filter to improve performance is still not clear to me.

I read the other forum topic on EL performance you had. It seems the best way to improve performance would be to reconfigure/optimize the filters. If you want, and without revealing any strategies, you could describe/list similar filter setups here or in the other topic that are causing performance issues. Then the forum can see if there is another way to speed up or reconfigure them.

My current CPU is very similar to an i5-3350P. The filters I was using in the past would slow EL down to the point I couldn't use the program. There was no choice but to try various ways to reconfigure the filters. What I learned was, EL has many different ways to filter the same results, including making it much easier to research and read the tables. For instance. I had performance issues with some large number groups and found converting them into ticket files or First/Last digits(etc.) worked much faster.
tdnl46w

Postby Meisterkeks » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:34 pm

tdnl46w wrote: If you want, and without revealing any strategies, you could describe/list similar filter setups here or in the other topic that are causing performance issues. Then the forum can see if there is another way to speed up or reconfigure them.

Hi tdnl46w,

Thanks for the offer, I may come back to that.

I have experimented now and achieved minor improvements. Maybe I'm on the right track now.
Thank you

Best Regards!

Meisterkeks
Meisterkeks

Postby Meisterkeks » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:36 pm

sandybridge wrote:if it`s possible to optimize the programm algorithms EL under CUDA technology...
https://developer.nvidia.com/about-cuda
About CUDA | NVIDIA Developer
I think this would help speed up the calculations, but simply the CPU-processors were very slow for this

Hi sandybridge,

Thanks for the hint, but I do not know that :oops:
Thank you

Best Regards!

Meisterkeks
Meisterkeks

Return to Comments, suggestions, feature requests