BETA LOTTO 5

BETA LOTTO 5

Postby JOE BLOW » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 am

STAN,

I find the beta version slower than the older version 4, why is this so?

I generated all possible combinations for Texas cash five, then I use the winning numbers filter to filter out all the winning draws. And then I found that the beta version is performing slower than version 4.

Is there way to speed up the calculations?
JOE BLOW

Re: BETA LOTTO 5

Postby JOE BLOW » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:16 am

JOE BLOW wrote:STAN,

I generated all possible combinations for Texas cash five, then I use the winning numbers filter to filter out all the winning draws. And then I found that the beta version is performing slower than version 4.

In fact I hit APPLY on the filter, and waited 15 Minutes, when the filter was finished, I clicked OK and the filter closed, and then I noticed on the bar at the bottom the program is slowly checking the winning numbers again.
JOE BLOW

Postby stan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 am

JOE BLOW wrote:

In fact I hit APPLY on the filter, and waited 15 Minutes, when the filter was finished, I clicked OK and the filter closed, and then I noticed on the bar at the bottom the program is slowly checking the winning numbers again.

yes, that's exactly what the ok and apply buttons do
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 am

i have different experience
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Jerzy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Joe Blow,

In my experience ExpertLotto 5 works very smooth and its filters are very fast. Winning Number History Sums/differences filter and segment filters seem to be 2-3 times faster than in version 4.

I don't know what causes your problem. Maybe your EL 5 is not installed correctly.
Jerzy

Postby JOE BLOW » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I wonder why they change the layout?

Why didn't the programers maintain the same layout as the classic version 4?

It will take considerable time to understand the lay out, and navigate in the program: from a marketing stand point this is not good.

Most people that buy lottery software are not university graduates, who can handle complex filters etc.

You need more automation to make it easy for people who are too busy, or who cannot read and completely understand graphs etc.

That said I find your help section not too help full in understanding the functions of the program, you need a help section that goes step by step and assumes nothing.

Then again who do you plan on marketing the software to? What classes of people?

If its the mass market, then you need more automation to make the program simple to understand and use.
JOE BLOW

Postby stan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:20 pm

JOE BLOW wrote:I wonder why they change the layout?

because it's more flexible and user friendly than the old one.

Why didn't the programers maintain the same layout as the classic version 4?

sure, why did i bother rewriting the whole application from scratch if the old version was so good...:)

It will take considerable time to understand the lay out, and navigate in the program: from a marketing stand point this is not good.

i think that first-time users will find the new user interface more accessible and easier to learn.

Most people that buy lottery software are not university graduates, who can handle complex filters etc.

You need more automation to make it easy for people who are too busy, or who cannot read and completely understand graphs etc.

expert lotto is not for most people. most people look for a simple 'point and click' application to give them some sort of 'smart' quick picks. expert lotto is not such an application.

That said I find your help section not too help full in understanding the functions of the program, you need a help section that goes step by step and assumes nothing.

Then again who do you plan on marketing the software to? What classes of people?

If its the mass market, then you need more automation to make the program simple to understand and use.

you're the first one complaining about this. considering how many other expert lotto users there are, i think i've done my job pretty well when redesigning expert lotto 5:)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby niceguy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:10 am

I'll second that. There might be a few glitches here & there, but that's what a Beta version is all about:- ironing out those problems before it hits the public at large!! Go for it Stan!!
niceguy

Postby JOE BLOW » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:49 am

STAN,

Now that you have explained your thoughts on my thoughts, I see your line of thinking. And I must say I agree with some of your points.

But one thing about the help section, that bothers me is the fount size. I find it too small on my computer, even when I expand it to full screen view.

Can you please tell me how to increase the fount size?
JOE BLOW

Postby stan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:31 pm

JOE BLOW wrote:
Can you please tell me how to increase the fount size?

run expert lotto 5 with command line argument
Code: Select all
--fontsize 14
(or any other bigger/smaller number). the documentation is also available online: http://expertlotto.com/staging/en/help/
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Development versions