Edit A New Game

Edit A New Game

Postby niceguy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 am

Hi Stan In The new Beta version, is it possible to edit a new game you have set up? e.g. say you have successfully set up a new game, then you realise that you have set up the ticket panel incorrectly, is there any way you can go back & correct (edit) your new game so you can correct the mistake you have made, apart from deleting the whole game & starting over again? Thanks.
niceguy

Re: Edit A New Game

Postby stan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:13 am

niceguy wrote:Hi Stan In The new Beta version, is it possible to edit a new game you have set up?

no, you need to setup a new lottery
(or you can try fiddling with lottery.xml file but it's not a recommended approach)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby niceguy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi Stan
Is there any chance that in future versions this will be corrected-ie that we will be able to edit games? This would save having to re-do the whole set up again, & would also allow you to make any adjustments, should the lotto game be altered in future. ( e.g. powerball was introduced to New Zealand lotto a couple of years after lotto actually started). I think you could edit games in version 4 ??
niceguy

Postby stan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:12 pm

maybe, but only minor changes will be possible then, e.g. lottery name or description.
because if you change some of the basic lottery parameters, e.g. add/remove a bonus ball the following things will break:
- winning numbers database will be invalid as one bonus number will be missing or added
- stored complex filters won't work in the updated lottery
- stored custom analyzers won't work either

therefore it seems to me it's better to always setup a new lottery - it's not that many mouse clicks and it doesn't have to be done every day - and then import winning numbers into the new database
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby niceguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:20 am

Hi Stan
I see what you mean. Even the changes that you have mentioned would be great. What actually happened was I set up a new lottery, imported the winning numbers, (all went well), then I set up the printing of the playslips, to then realise I had made a mistake in the set up part, & the only way I could seem to correct it was to start all over again (including the playslip printing details) , a reasonably time consuming excersice. However, as you say once I got it right, there should be no further need to adjust it, unless the lotteries commision change the game set up ( e.g. add another bonus ball etc) Thanks Stan
niceguy

Postby stan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 pm

well, i could make the wizard powerfull enough to recalculate the playslip layout when you change the number of rows/columns or convert the winning numbers when the pool parameters changed. but that would be a lot of code (and quite probably a lot of bugs) and i'd rather spend that time on developing more useful features. i hope you understand.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby niceguy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:19 am

Sounds like a lot of work & probably not really worth it when there is more important things to be done. Thanks anyway Stan
niceguy

Return to Development versions