Filter - Match Package

Filter - Match Package

Postby sliver » Wed May 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi Stan,

could you explain how the Match Package filter works. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me how it works.

I have a package with about 200K+ tickets, when I run the Match Package to remove tickets that match in 4 numbers I get just 3 (!) tickets left when the initial package was sorted, and when its not sorted I get 14 tickets remaining after the filter has run.

How is this possible to come down to 3 or 14 tickets from 200K+ tickets ? What is this filter doing ?
sliver

Postby stan » Thu May 03, 2007 10:42 am

the algorithm is simple:

Code: Select all

for i = 1 to n do {
    ticket T = getTicketAtPosition( i )
    for j = i+1 to n do {
        if( T matches getTicketAtPosition( j ) ) {
            return true
        }
    }
    return false
}

don't know why you're getting different results for sorted/unsorted package. pls email me your file (zipped) and a screen shot of your filter settings and you'll check it out
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby sliver » Thu May 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi Stan

Ive attached a 28K package and a screenshot of the match package filter I'm trying to run.

When the package is sorted I get 3 tickets left, when its not sorted I get 14 tickets left. Weird !

Surely there should be more tickets left ?

thanks
Sliver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sliver

Postby sliver » Thu May 03, 2007 7:15 pm

And the package file -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sliver

Postby stan » Thu May 03, 2007 10:21 pm

here's the reason why the filter results differ for sorted/unsorted package (it took me a while to find out:)

image the package contains tickets A,B,C (and other tickets), A matches B in 4 numbers, A matches C in 4 numbers, B and C do not match in 4 numbers.

if the order of tickets is A,B,C then A is filtered out (it matches B), B and C are left in the package after filtering

if the order of tickets is B,A,C then only C is left in the package after filtering because B is compared with A (match is found) and removed, then later on A is compared with C (match found) and removed as well.

the filter stops evaluating tickets as soon as the first match is found so it may/does happen that not all tickets are compared with each other and that means the order of tickets in the package makes difference
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby sliver » Fri May 04, 2007 10:58 am

Ok Stan, help me out here please!

The package I sent has 28,000+ tickets filtered down from a full package of 880,000+ package

The filtered package has the jackpot ticket, and lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd prize tickets. I'm looking for a safe way to reduce this and still get some wins.

If I use the Match Package filter, I'm down to 3 or 14 tickets with no wins. The best tickets filter does not help either.

What can I do to get about 50 tickets that will still contain at least 1 win ?
sliver

Postby sliver » Fri May 04, 2007 11:01 am

oh and another question - is this how its supposed to work ? does not seem very logical that it would end up with just 3 tickets from 28,000+
sliver

me to

Postby jimbo » Fri May 04, 2007 2:03 pm

i also acquire the same results, and cant seem to get about 30,000 tick with jackpot tick still there, down to a playable amount. dont really expect jackpot tick, but it would be nice to have a few 3rd or fourth.

any ideas to get it down to 300 maybe. best tick also didnt get good results?

jim
jimbo

Postby stan » Fri May 04, 2007 6:51 pm

[quote=sliver]
oh and another question - is this how its supposed to work ? does not seem very logical that it would end up with just 3 tickets from 28,000+
[/quote]

it just means that for each ticket in the package there's another ticket that matches its four numbers

try 'match 4, min 10, matching tickets remove' or 'match 6, matching tickets remove' that should give you 100 - 200 tickets only

another option is to use bobes' instructions from the jackpot section
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Tips + Tricks