Cannot "Add" numbers to Powerball

Cannot "Add" numbers to Powerball

Postby Howard » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Stan:

Powerball region 5/59 pool 1/39 bonus is fairly recent --just about i.5 years -- an has about 153 draws. The online update which covers is missing bout 2001 to present is missing about 45 drawings from that region so I have edited and modified to include only the numbers contained in the region. However, adding the new numbers does not work as follows: Date selection - OK; key in of first 5 after date selection - OK. Problems: Cursor will not move or select into the bonus number column; bonus column number entry cannot be accessed or modified - remains (1); thereafter cannot move on to the next date to be entered.

System is a plain jane desktop PC running on Windows 7 O/S.

Thanks in advance for any help.

HHS
Howard

Re: Cannot "Add" numbers to Powerball

Postby stan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 am

there's no way to insert draws with numbers out of allowed range.
you can post the missing draws here or email them to me and i'll add them to the database myself.

if there's enough interest i can add some sort of switch to turn number validation (temporarily) off. but having invalid numbers in the database may lead to application bugs and/or invalid stats and filtering. i think it's better to remove old draws and keep only the new ones after the lottery rules change.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Howard » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Stan:

Thank you for your reply. I am going to attempt to attach the list of powerball drawings in txt format. Hope it works

HHS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Howard

Postby Howard » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 pm

P.S

I guess the only other thing I would want to know is whether there is a program modification that will permit the user to add the number coming any time soon? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Howard

Postby stan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:23 pm

forgot to ask - are you using expert lotto 4.x or do you play with expert lotto 5?
because the powerball winning numbers database is up-to-date in expert lotto 5...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Stan

i think it's better to remove old draws and keep only the new ones after the lottery rules change.

My comment addresses EL Ver 4. Can't speak to ver 5.

I agree with your comment regarding removing old draws from the data base when the number of balls changes. Trouble is - the first time you use the automatic update feature they all appear again - that is, the whole data base from the beginning is now back as per the official Lottery site. An example is the Texas cash 5 which changed from 39 balls to 37 some years ago but the official data is all contiguous. It is a real pain in the ---. I know you can somewhat work around the issue by using the skip function in the data module and the calendar function in WNH and several filters but all of this become difficult to track and confusing after a while. Another example, if the first 1000 draws have the 39 balls and the next 1500 have only 37 balls a user can use the data module skip function - now consider a user wants to play some what if analysis on the most recent 50 draws and uses the skip function for that - he/she better not tick the remove all button at the end of the exercise which would necessitate re-ticking the first 1500 draws one at a time all over again.

INMHO - the auto update function should have an option to just be able to update the last xx number of draws - where xx is user defined.

We addressed this same issue some years ago but can not find the relevant posts - probably before my erroneous forum join date (LOL). If I remember correctly, at that time you felt it was better to leave the data base as per the official site for those who wanted it that way.

Regards

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:52 pm

online wn update in expert lotto 5 has option 'add only new draws'. you can delete the old draws first, then mark those dates as 'no draw' in 'add winning numbers' window and then the online update wizard won't be adding the deleted draws anymore.

(first i need to upload a new build of version 5. the current build is overwrites the deleted draws)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi Stan

Very happy to see you are addressing this data update issue in EL v5.

Thanks again for all your outstanding work.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby Howard » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi Stan:

Howard here regarding your question of 3/4 days ago. I am using EL 4.xx (happy with it) and stand poised to upgrade to EL (5 which I understand to be a major rewrite) as soon as it is available as a final. I do note it is available as as a Beta but I am not aware of how far along it is in functionality. You have enough to do already so can you point me to existing posts that can give me some idea of how much of EL 4 is already implemented and functioning properly in EL 5? Also what is your estimate on this in terms of a per centage?

Thanks for your info.
Howard

Postby stan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Howard wrote:Hi Stan:

Howard here regarding your question of 3/4 days ago. I am using EL 4.xx (happy with it) and stand poised to upgrade to EL (5 which I understand to be a major rewrite) as soon as it is available as a final. I do note it is available as as a Beta but I am not aware of how far along it is in functionality. You have enough to do already so can you point me to existing posts that can give me some idea of how much of EL 4 is already implemented and functioning properly in EL 5? Also what is your estimate on this in terms of a per centage?

Thanks for your info.

all features in expert lotto 5 are finished and fully working. what's missing when compared to version 4.x are pattern matching predictions and optimizer/minimizer filters - those will be coming in expert lotto 5.1
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Comments, suggestions, features requests