1034 BETA BUILD

1034 BETA BUILD

Postby Willie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:40 pm

I followed these instructions:

[color=blue]How to Install the Main Application Library

Right-click the download link and choose Save As or Save Target As
When file browsing window opens type C:expertlotto.jar into file name field. Then choose Save or Ok.

When the download is finished open file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer) and go to C: folder.

Make sure that the downloaded file name is expertlotto.jar - some browsers or operating system may treat the file as a ZIP archive and add .zip extension instead.

Copy or move the downloaded file into the lib folder in your Expert Lotto installation, e.g. C:Program FileExpertLottoBetalib

Start Expert Lotto, choose menu Help - About and make sure that the build number matches the latest build number from this page.

You can also view instructional video demonstrating BETA version upgrade.

I get as far as "...Copy or move the downloaded file into...," and a popup advises a choice between overwriting, or copying as a abbreviated file name. The video shows to select overwrite.

If I overwrite, then EL fails to open - apparently because it replaces the existing expertlotto.jar. - and I've had to unistall and reinstall, twice to get the Official Version and Build back to where it would open.

I cannot find a way to copy the recommended file name - C:EpertLottoBetalib, because Save will not allow ""....

As Stan advised in another thread, I do not have EL installed in Programs, but directly in C:.... And the that is where BETA 1034 resides along with a copy on the Desktop - both with default as-download file name expertlotto.jar, which is the same file name preexisting in lib, which may explain the overwrite conflict issue.

I have followed the Camtasia Download & Install Latest BETA Version video, and got the same ERROR message (attached).

Now, I am off once again to unistall/re-install EP because it fails to open showing the ERROR following BETA install.

I have followed both written and video install instructions.

What am I doing wrong?

Thannk you,

Willie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willie

GOT IT: Issue Resolved....

Postby Willie » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:49 pm

The following quote is the Post that successfully installed latest Build (1034), correctly - w/o errors.

sysp34

04-17-2008, 06:47 Member since 11/2006 352 Posts
lb

you should find different file size between Build 997 and Buid 986 for a beta it should be increasing files size until stan find agile method to compress or to shorted the code.

here is my step to update latest version

1. go to jackpot forum to download latest beta for Pro Edition
or go to EL Download BETA Version for Hobby Edition

2. you will ask to save the expert lotto.jar just save in e.g. c:download
(note: you will ask to overwrite the files if you have the same file name in c:download or if you downloaded using download manager, the new files will be store as expert lotto.jar(1) and so on (some download manager prevent overwritting files)

3. go to c:program filesexpert lottolib and rename expert lotto.jar into expert lotto1.jar or something just in case something goes wrong with new version

4. copy expert lotto.jar from c:download into c:program filesexpert lottolib

5. fire up EL and see the new version

reinstallation method will be my last option when i can't lauch EL

if you have to re-install you may clean your registry using freeware registry cleaner

download latest plugins

good luck

Apparently, Bulid 1034 was overwriting existing expertlotto.jar in lib... When I renamed the existing to expertlotto1.jar, then copied Build 1034 into lib, EL now shows 1034 accordingly in Help > About.

I don't recall seeing anything about renaming existing expertlotto.jar to expertlotto1.jar prior to copying Build 1034 in published instructions and/or video. I followed both instructions verbatum: so much for literal interps... it was gnawing in my gut to do that - shoulda followed intuition - woulda saved five hours of unin/reinstalls and combing thru threads looking for answers - coulda avoided, stress.

Standing "O" for [color=red][u]sysp24 for nailing install rhythm and tone.[/u][/color]! :cool:

Each time I'm forced to go looking for answers, I learn other valueable information along the way - sometimes it's more important, that which is not said.... Sweating-it-out is part of the dues, eh? I can do that: builds respect and cuts more than one way. Program Help and website information are not sufficient to understand EL's soul - the heartbeat is in the forum.

Honorable mention to Willie for generous replies to this thread.

Willie
Willie

Postby sysp34 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Willie

if did you use dial-up when updating expertlotto.jar? if so i think the problem is in internet connection it seem there are a corrupt data while downloading the files specially you using vista which is more in internet security.
sysp34

Postby Willie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:13 am

Yesterday, 15:02 Member since 11/2006 361 Posts

Willie

if did you use dial-up when updating expertlotto.jar? if so i think the problem is in internet connection it seem there are a corrupt data while downloading the files specially you using vista which is more in internet security.

Hello sysp34:

Right, on both counts: Vista and dial-up.

We live in remote mountains - deep in the forest - can't get up on the bird and won't see broadband for 500 years, or so.

The phone company came up, ran tests last week and said the lines are clear. When running Task Manager, it shows network utility link connection putts along at 45-48 kbps... when downloading large applications, the graph shows consistent 47-55% of 119 Kbps. Unfortunately, I bought into Vista back when there was still hope. :vogel:

I did get Build 1034 installed okay, now... but may have to uninstall again pending Stan's reply to my query asking if it is necessary to remove before testing EL's new Vista Installer.

Thx again, very best.
Willie

Postby sysp34 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:02 pm

[quote=Willie]

Right, on both counts: Vista and dial-up.

link connection putts along at 45-48 kbps... when downloading large applications,

[/quote]

i though that the best setting in dial-up as i used to a while ago the download should be 3-5 kbps/sec, now i must go to cybercafe because it have better connection with lower price than dial-up cost.

you may use a free/donation download manager

FlashGet 1.9.6

original FlashGet 1.9.6 site

since you have vista the core for internet connection would be an advantage, and don't get :#: :motz: when expertlotto.jar become expertlotto.zip like i used to :-D
just renaming back *.zip into *.jar

good luck
sysp34

Thanks for the tips...

Postby Willie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:58 am

Yes, I went thru the the .zip/jar dance, also. I think that was one of problem, initially.

With existing download speeds, I can capture 10MB/hour when the server is not crowded - usually in the early morning, sometimes at night. So I can live with it because I'm now past mid sixties and nothing moves very quickly anymore, anyway.

The more I study EL, the more I really enjoy it. Where else can user/members have a direct hand in research and development? The most impressive element is community participation. There is a wealth of stastical information provided in well thought-out, logical arrangement. Yes, EL requires a learning curve, justifiably so.

I hope that Stan/Team development will include Pick 3/4 at some point in the near future. Looking at program design structure, I don't see why it cannot be setup, now... but the EL homepage infers that it is in future tense - so I'm guessing it is not applicable at this time.

Thanks again for your input, sysp34, greatly appreciated.

Willie
Willie

Return to BETA versions