Expert Lotto on Mac OS X

Expert Lotto on Mac OS X

Postby stan » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:43 pm

i had an apple powerbook for a week so i tried some mac related fixes in expert lotto. now it should look more like a native mac application.

mac users can download the new version of expert lotto here:

www.expertlotto.com/files/preview/expertlotto-mac.zip

just expand the downloaded zip file and double-click expert lotto folder.
all comments are very welcome.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Mac version

Postby hexagonvex » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:50 pm

Hi Stan,

Thank you for this Christmas gift....I guess I am the only Mac user in this forum :-D

Well where shall I start....the UI looks pretty much the same.

On the other hand.....

* the little problem regarding compound and adding a position filter persists (see http://www.expertlotto.com/en/forum/for ... &nocount=1)

* as a rule of thumb the application icon should be the same than the dock icon when the application is running (that's cosmetics)

* the preview image of the application should be the same as the application icon (cosmetics as well)

* the registration of the application is VERY unhandy. Let me explain. The files and the directory structures of the application are inside the .app. So in order to register I had to open the package and copy my license into the package which is a clear "DON'T" on the mac platform.

* Since the directory structure and all underlying data are inside the package (and basically invisible to the average user) it is hard to import data. This implies that after importing all the data I needed the application is now a whopping 52MB. If you bring out a new .app (as an update for example) I would have to export manually all the data before overwriting the application and then reimport the data including the registration process.

So....

As I see it (I am not a programmer) you should take the lib folder and make that the application. For the rest keep the directory structure as it is. So you can delete lottery files that you don't use anymore and most of all the application help files can remain as they are (regarding directories and files)

Well that's it for now...if u wanna go in depth just let me know

Greetings
hexagonvex

Postby stan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:16 pm

[quote=hexagonvex]
Well where shall I start....the UI looks pretty much the same.
[/quote]
are you running expert lotto in mac look and feel? you won't see the changes otherwise (mac menu bar, better wn selection panel etc). mostly small changes anyway.

* the little problem regarding compound and adding a position filter persists (see http://www.expertlotto.com/en/forum/for ... &nocount=1)

all menus were working fine for me but i'll try again (when i get a chance to borrow a powerbook again)

* as a rule of thumb the application icon should be the same than the dock icon when the application is running (that's cosmetics)

i copied this from other applications that were running on my powerbook, but it's easy to change.

* the preview image of the application should be the same as the application icon (cosmetics as well)

same as above

* the registration of the application is VERY unhandy. Let me explain. The files and the directory structures of the application are inside the .app. So in order to register I had to open the package and copy my license into the package which is a clear "DON'T" on the mac platform.

* Since the directory structure and all underlying data are inside the package (and basically invisible to the average user) it is hard to import data. This implies that after importing all the data I needed the application is now a whopping 52MB. If you bring out a new .app (as an update for example) I would have to export manually all the data before overwriting the application and then reimport the data including the registration process.

So....

As I see it (I am not a programmer) you should take the lib folder and make that the application. For the rest keep the directory structure as it is. So you can delete lottery files that you don't use anymore and most of all the application help files can remain as they are (regarding directories and files)

i haven't thought about these. mostly there should be no need to inspect the inside of the package as there buttons to install license file, buttons to add/remove lotteries, menu to update application libraries etc.
i'll try to come up with a better directory structure - but first i need to borrow the powerbook again.

anyway, thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to BETA versions