build 988 - multithreading support

Postby PadawanLotto » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:45 pm

CSenior, I believe that core 1 and core 3 are just showing residual bleed over, simular to memory leak. The two main cores 2 & 4 are doing all of the thinking there.

I ran a test using a complex compound filter and it runs 2000 ticket combinations at a time but the thing that I noticed is that it seems to take 2000 combinations process the filter in the compound and then output the results and then grab another 2000. The progress bar doesn't constintly roll like before, it now only changes after the 2000 combinations have been processed. I do know that both cores are working together as I said before the CPU fan never sped up while filtering like it does now. I was wondering since both cores are being used to process filters, would it be better to not run any other programs while filtering? You guys with the quad cores shouldn't be affected as you have 2 other cores to do multi-tasking while filtering.
PadawanLotto

Postby CSenior » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:33 pm

[quote=PadawanLotto]
I ran a test using a complex compound filter and it runs 2000 ticket combinations at a time but the thing that I noticed is that it seems to take 2000 combinations process the filter in the compound and then output the results and then grab another 2000. The progress bar doesn't constintly roll like before, it now only changes after the 2000 combinations have been processed.
[/quote]

I agree. I ran similar tests using 100K as a high parameter and the progress bar rolled only twice then it completed the task. I will have to time the speed of completed task using 100K vs 1K as parameters with a full package and report back the results.
CSenior

Bug Report

Postby PadawanLotto » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Build 989, in the Statistics, show stats for: ticket numbers, if you choose numbers to leave or remove the filter will not remove all of the numbers chosen. I was trying to leave 14 numbers out of 39 from a full package and I ran the filter and it filtered something out but, the numbers that were to be removed still remained. I should have had 2002 combinations after filtering but instead I had 8830 combinations left but wait, it gets better. Every time I reset everything and tried again the number of combinations was different.

I sent my error log to support.
PadawanLotto

Postby Falcon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:07 am

Hi Padawan,

Yes get this problem also. Doesn't take them all out leaves a few remnant ones behind.

falcon
Falcon

Postby PadawanLotto » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:28 am

[quote=PadawanLotto]
Build 989, in the Statistics, show stats for: ticket numbers, if you choose numbers to leave or remove the filter will not remove all of the numbers chosen. I was trying to leave 14 numbers out of 39 from a full package and I ran the filter and it filtered something out but, the numbers that were to be removed still remained. I should have had 2002 combinations after filtering but instead I had 8830 combinations left but wait, it gets better. Every time I reset everything and tried again the number of combinations was different.

[/quote]
Ok, I found that there is nothing in the error log about this problem so, I went into the properties file and added this line multithreading.filter=false and saved it. I then opened EL and tried the filter again and it works fine so, the problem is in the multithreading.

For anyone that doesn't know how to edit the app.PROPERTIES File, open your expertlotto folder and right click on app.PROPERTIES File, choose open with notepad. If noyepad isn't in the list use choose program, select the program from a list, when the list opens choose notepad. Once the window opens, copy this line here multithreading.filter=false and paste it into the notepad and save, close out notepad and start EL and all will be ok. If you want to use the multithreading just go back into app.PROPERTIES File and change multithreading.filter=false to multithreading.filter=true.
PadawanLotto

Postby alland » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 am

[quote=Falcon]
Hi Padawan,

Yes get this problem also. Doesn't take them all out leaves a few remnant ones behind.

falcon
[/quote]

i found this as well when filtering segments , there were still remenents.,and even after numerous attempts to remove .

maybe this is why i think the distinct hd not working correctly
alland

Postby stan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:51 am

[quote=Falcon:1207366921]
Hi Stan,

An issue with the multi threading unfortunately.

Attached pic shows use of the Match File filter. It demonstrates no matching going on. When the filter is cancelled you eventually get a small panel to say 0 tickets in package. 2000 tickets filtered out.

My surmise is that the 2000 tickets are comprised of the 1000 tickets assigned in memory to each thread.

Using an AMD 4200 dual core machine.
[/quote]
i think that the filter does work. the problem is that the tickets are processed in batches of 1000, so it may take a while before the batch is processed, especially if the match file is large and you're looking for 'match 6' as in your screenshot. pls try either with smaller match file or look for lower matches and the progress bar should move faster:)

Noticed that the app.properties file will not hold either the multithreading false command nor the filter.ticketbatch.size=1000 ie the file can be saved with these inclusions but they would appear to be overwritten (written out) when you open the program.

you must edit and save the file before executing expert lotto. also the order of lines in app.properties will change after each start and exit of expert lotto but your added lines should be there.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:52 am

[quote=Falcon:1207372974]
Bit more.

Using the match package filter works perfectly.

Think I have found the answer.

If you attempt to Match a file with the introduced file being a CSV file it will not work. However if you use a ticket extension file eg .645 then it works. And it flies. Great stuff.

falcon
[/quote]

i see, i'll look at this
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:53 am

[quote=CSenior:1207397061]
Did testing on 6/53 running a full package using the WNH Sums filter and it is fast. Not that I am complaining but for some reason it seems to be using all 4 threads on my Quad core. :-D I have attached a before and during screen shot of cores in action during my tests.
[/quote]

well, there are other application/services running when expert lotto is running. i'll add support for quad cores so please report what the performance increase is then (i don't have quad core cpu)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:56 am

[quote=PadawanLotto]

[/quote]

got your email, found the problem, will fix it soon:)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 pm

build 990/991 is available for download, pls read more here:
http://www.expertlotto.com/en/download/beta.htm#news

if you want to have more than two filtering threads then add the following line to your app.properties:
[m]multithreading.filter.threads=4[/m]

the segments calculator now shows the latest segment with red background, the multiple wnh segments filter has 'count passing tickets' button which produces a text file showing how many tickets have the first segment combination, how many have the first two segment combinations, the first three etc.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Da80th » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 pm

[quote=stan]

the segments calculator now shows the latest segment with red background
[/quote]

Stan,

the red color background stay in the same location even if you sorted any column, shouldn't the color background move with the latest segments when you sorted any column?

thanks

Da80th
Da80th

Postby stan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 pm

[quote=Da80th]
[quote=stan]

the segments calculator now shows the latest segment with red background
[/quote]

Stan,

the red color background stay in the same location even if you sorted any column, shouldn't the color background move with the latest segments when you sorted any column?

thanks

Da80th
[/quote]
i see, i forgot about that. i'll fix that in the next version
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Maryland » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:36 am

[quote=stan]

if you want to have more than two filtering threads then add the following line to your app.properties:

the segments calculator now shows the latest segment with red background, the multiple wnh segments filter has 'count passing tickets' button which produces a text file showing how many tickets have the first segment combination, how many have the first two segment combinations, the first three etc.
[/quote]

Stan, That's exactly what I wanted. Guess I didn't explain right.

Thank you
Thank you :gun:
Maryland

Postby CARBOB » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:21 pm

[quote=Maryland]
[quote=stan]

[/quote]

Stan, That's exactly what I wanted. Guess I didn't explain right.

Thank you
Thank you :gun:
[/quote]

Does the new build automatically use multithreading? I have a dual core>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CARBOB

PreviousNext

Return to BETA versions