Multi-segment filter question

Multi-segment filter question

Postby Bobijohn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Stan,

Playing a pick 4/35 lotto (Texas Two Step) with a full package of 52360 tickets. When I run the multi segment filter using a full package and the attached csv file with segments set at default 6/12 I get an out put of only 26 lines passing. The winning segments for the first 5 columns are 3-1-0,2-1-1,3-1-0,1-3-0,2-1-1 respectively. They are not present.

My question is whether using wildcards are intended to take into account all segment combinations possible for the game played (4/35 or 5/39 etc) and that particular segment pattern. e.g. for this game the possibilities for a 3-?-? pattern are 3-1-0, 3-0-1 and likewise 2-?-? are 2-2-0,2-1-1 and 2-0-2. If so, it does not seem to be doing this - for this game. However, if the intention is to compute all possible combinations as described it sure would be of great assistance in developing the input file.

I guess I must be missing something as to the intended use of the wildcards. Some help please.

Thank you

Bobijohn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bobijohn

Postby PadawanLotto » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:41 pm

[quote=Bobijohn]
Hi Stan,

Playing a pick 4/35 lotto (Texas Two Step) with a full package of 52360 tickets. When I run the multi segment filter using a full package and the attached csv file with segments set at default 6/12 I get an out put of only 26 lines passing. The winning segments for the first 5 columns are 3-1-0,2-1-1,3-1-0,1-3-0,2-1-1 respectively. They are not present.
[/quote]
What do you mean they are not present?
My question is whether using wildcards are intended to take into account all segment combinations possible for the game played (4/35 or 5/39 etc) and that particular segment pattern. e.g. for this game the possibilities for a 3-?-? pattern are 3-1-0, 3-0-1 and likewise 2-?-? are 2-2-0,2-1-1 and 2-0-2. If so, it does not seem to be doing this - for this game. However, if the intention is to compute all possible combinations as described it sure would be of great assistance in developing the input file.

I guess I must be missing something as to the intended use of the wildcards. Some help please.

Thank you

Bobijohn
Wildcards take into acount only the segment combinations and patterns possible for a full package of 52360 (Texas Two Step) based on the WNH at the time (for the next drawing). The WNH changes with every drawing and the possible segment patterns also change (segment patterns = the segment combinations within the 11 columns). You chose 3-?-? for the first 3 columns if there are no combinations within the 52360 that have matching segment patterns of 3-?-? in the first 3 columns there will be no ticket combinations produced. Say that column 0 has segments of 3-1-0 and 3-0-1 and column -1 has the same but with these two columns containing these segments column -2 doesn't have any segments starting with 3 then, there won't be any ticket combinations produced.

As you start limiting columns to certain segments you start eliminating segments from other columns.

With so few total combinations possible you may want to limit you wildcards to just column 0 or columns 0 and -1. Wildcards, if you think that in column 0 the first segment will be 3-?-? then the filter will take into account all possible segments that start with 3 in column 0 so column 0 would only contain 3-1-0 and 3-0-1.
PadawanLotto

Postby Bobijohn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi PadwanLotto,

Thanks for the response and also for all your very excellent posts.

“What do you mean they are not present?â€￾ The winning number segment pattern for Col -0 to Col -4 (3-1-0,2-1-1,3-1-0,1-3-0,2-1-1 respectively) does not appear amongst the segment patterns for the 26 filtered tickets. It should.

I have been playing extensively with the multi segment filter since it was first published and have had no problems when generating combination patterns in Excel, creating csv files and running them in EL until this issue with the wildcards. For your info. I developed a matrix in Excel using 3 combinations per column for 5 columns (col -0 to col -4) – total 243 lines (3^5) and found that for the pick 4/35 the winning ticket position varied from col -2 all the way to col -6. I was surprised by the col -6 result but it was double checked and found true. The tests (15 or so) were run on a random sampling of pick 4/35 draw dates by using the skip function. Col -4 will yield the winning number (of course, using the correct segment pattern across the 5 columns) with a variance of 1 to 4 tickets most of the time in these tests. Just for kicks I also pre-filtered the full package to about half the full size and ran a few tests and found that it still took about the same number of columns to converge – i.e. instead of 1 to 4 in col -4 there would be 1 or 2 tickets remaining.

“if you think that in column 0 the first segment will be 3-?-? then the filter will take into account all possible segments that start with 3 in column 0 so column 0 would only contain 3-1-0 and 3-0-1.â€￾ That is what I expected the filter to do but it did not. I expected it to do exactly what you say across all the columns where a wildcard is present. I attached a simple input csv to my first post.

It seems that for the pick 4/35 game the filter is filtering only the ticket numbers that fall within a segment where there is a number (e.g 3 in a 3-?-?) and ignoring those ticket numbers that fall in segments where there is question mark.

If the wildcard feature is filtering as you suggest for the pick 5 and 6 games then I believe there is a problem with the pick 4 game

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:18 pm

[quote=Bobijohn]
Hi Stan,

[/quote]
logical AND applies between segment combinations on each line, logical OR applies between the lines. so you can't get 3-?-? AND 2-?-? with the input file you attached.

My question is whether using wildcards are intended to take into account all segment combinations possible for the game played (4/35 or 5/39 etc) and that particular segment pattern. e.g. for this game the possibilities for a 3-?-? pattern are 3-1-0, 3-0-1 and likewise 2-?-? are 2-2-0,2-1-1 and 2-0-2.

yes
If so, it does not seem to be doing this - for this game. However, if the intention is to compute all possible combinations as described it sure would be of great assistance in developing the input file.

see above
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks Stan

My second posting crossed with yours in transit. To read the yellow highlight with cursor.

Given your "and/or" explanation I now understand what to expect. It also explains why everything works so well when using even a large input file generated in Excel but without question marks. This is a very nice and powerful tool - just takes a lot of effort getting all the input right in Excel.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby PadawanLotto » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:48 pm

[quote=Bobijohn]
Hi PadwanLotto,

Thanks for the response and also for all your very excellent posts.

“What do you mean they are not present?â€￾ The winning number segment pattern for Col -0 to Col -4 (3-1-0,2-1-1,3-1-0,1-3-0,2-1-1 respectively) does not appear amongst the segment patterns for the 26 filtered tickets. It should.

I have been playing extensively with the multi segment filter since it was first published and have had no problems when generating combination patterns in Excel, creating csv files and running them in EL until this issue with the wildcards. For your info. I developed a matrix in Excel using 3 combinations per column for 5 columns (col -0 to col -4) – total 243 lines (3^5) and found that for the pick 4/35 the winning ticket position varied from col -2 all the way to col -6. I was surprised by the col -6 result but it was double checked and found true. The tests (15 or so) were run on a random sampling of pick 4/35 draw dates by using the skip function. Col -4 will yield the winning number (of course, using the correct segment pattern across the 5 columns) with a variance of 1 to 4 tickets most of the time in these tests. Just for kicks I also pre-filtered the full package to about half the full size and ran a few tests and found that it still took about the same number of columns to converge – i.e. instead of 1 to 4 in col -4 there would be 1 or 2 tickets remaining.

“if you think that in column 0 the first segment will be 3-?-? then the filter will take into account all possible segments that start with 3 in column 0 so column 0 would only contain 3-1-0 and 3-0-1.â€￾ That is what I expected the filter to do but it did not. I expected it to do exactly what you say across all the columns where a wildcard is present. I attached a simple input csv to my first post.

It seems that for the pick 4/35 game the filter is filtering only the ticket numbers that fall within a segment where there is a number (e.g 3 in a 3-?-?) and ignoring those ticket numbers that fall in segments where there is question mark.

If the wildcard feature is filtering as you suggest for the pick 5 and 6 games then I believe there is a problem with the pick 4 game

Bobijohn
[/quote]Based on the wildcard entries that you show in your attachment the segment pattern 3-1-0,2-1-1,3-1-0,1-3-0,2-1-1 was not possible. In your attachment you had 3-?-?,3-?-?,3-?-?,2-?-?,3-?-? on line 1 and 2-?-?,2-?-?,2-?-?,1-?-?,2-?-? in line 2. The pattern that you were looking for was not possible because the first number in each segment did not match the first number of the segments you entered. To get the missing combination that you were looking for you would of had to have entered in one line 3-?-?,2-?-?,3-?-?,1-?-?,2-?-? then the segment pattern 3-1-0,2-1-1,3-1-0,1-3-0,2-1-1 would have been within the resulting combinations.
PadawanLotto

Postby Bobijohn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:49 pm

Absolutely true and understood. My simple two line csv file was intended that way because I was hoping to see just the resulting number of tickets for all the possible combinations for the two lines (actual number is around 331776 lines of segment patterns – not possible in Excel 2003) given the number for the first segment only. Had that been possible the winning pattern would be within the results.

Given the and/or conditions by Stan I now understand the limitations.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby PadawanLotto » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 pm

[quote=Bobijohn]
Absolutely true and understood. My simple two line csv file was intended that way because I was hoping to see just the resulting number of tickets for all the possible combinations for the two lines (actual number is around 331776 lines of segment patterns – not possible in Excel 2003) given the number for the first segment only. Had that been possible the winning pattern would be within the results.

Given the and/or conditions by Stan I now understand the limitations.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Bobijohn
[/quote] The limitataions are set by the amount of combinations possible for the game you are playing. The Texas Two Step being a 4/35 only has a total 52,360 combinations possible in any one drawing not including the bonus number. So, no matter what you do with the Multiple Segments filter you will never get more combinations than the total possible for the game you are playing. I believe there are 8,649,755,859,375 segment patterns possible for a 4/35 (Texas Two Step) but, you are only going to use 52,360 at a time and never the same 52,360 from draw to draw, they change with every drawing. You don't need to work with segment patterns that are not even possible within the drawing you are working with.
PadawanLotto

Postby Bobijohn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks again PadwanLotto

Good Luck with your all your research.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Return to BETA versions