New kid on block needs help

New kid on block needs help

Postby Bob1140 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:48 am

I'm new to EL and having some problems getting going.

I play a power ball lottery of 5/55 and 1/42 drawing that happen twice a week. I have been keeping history files myself that go back to 1992 and have 1470 drawings of winning numbers.

I purchased the EL program and loaded my winning history numbers with the inport wizard and it worked just fine. Then I used "example #4" as a guideline to help me select a winning ticket for the upcoming drawing. While I can make it through the functions and produce some 766 tickets I can not sort them down as the directions show as I can not click on the "remove match in" icon when I click on items "0" thru "4" expecting to give me the 5 ball winners and Jack Pot winners.

So I can not filter the package down to a managable amount of tickets to play. Am I doing something wrong?

In reading all the other posts it appears that this program (winning history) will not provide me with the next set of winning numbers but a method to select my "best guesses" based on the results of the +/- 10 concept. Is that correct or will this produce a winning number?

Thanks for the help anyone
Bob1140

Postby PadawanLotto » Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 pm

Using EL with a lottery that draws from two different pools of numbers leads to an excessive amount of ticket combinations due to each five number combination being placed with each of the bonus numbers. I have been working with Mega Millions and I have created a new Mega Millions file that does not include the Mega Ball numbers. I focus on the five main numbers first then I place the Mega Ball numbers in later.

While I can make it through the functions and produce some 766 tickets I can not sort them down as the directions show as I can not click on the "remove match in" icon when I click on items "0" thru "4" expecting to give me the 5 ball winners and Jack Pot winners.

To click on remove match in, you must have some numbers highlighted in the number panel.

In reading all the other posts it appears that this program (winning history) will not provide me with the next set of winning numbers but a method to select my "best guesses" based on the results of the +/- 10 concept. Is that correct or will this produce a winning number?

The Winning Numbers History can provide you with the winning number if the estimates are correct for all 11 occurrence columns.
PadawanLotto

Still working through it

Postby Bob1140 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:16 am

:-D Thanks for the help. This is very confusing for a number cruncher who has done this all on paper to date.... :wand:

Here's what I have done and I am thinking I may have the key to my mistake after three days of sorting huge databases... over and over again.

I did not take out the last wining drawing numbers as I was under the impression that this would give me the next potencial numbers for the next drawing. Well based on the picks I made and what came up on Wed. night's drawing I can see something was wrong. So here's what I just tried. I resorted the entire database of winning numbers again and produced 147,107,962 tickets :gun: Yes clearly the extra 42 balls of the bonus picks, or Power Ball, created a load of tickets and I like your sugggestion of creating the 5 ball selection only and adding in the Power Ball manually.

So when I click on a set of "winning numbers" (or at least what I think they might be) in the panel I can indeed sort out the 5th and 4th positions where this function would not work before Except, there are no winners as I am guessing what they might be and I believe that is where the errors are coming in as the EL just sits there and does nothing but shows me all the losers and which ones had one match in it of the millions of tickets that EL produced from the Winning history file and that's about it. See where my frustration is coming from?

So if I subtract the last drawing that was just made on Wed evening, as the example shows, and do everything as I did once again, resort the file for the package I should have a different set of numbers as my +/- 10 number will be different, correct? I understand that I would place the set of numbers that I did not use in the just sorted data and use them as the numbers in the panel so I could then sort out the winning tickets from the entire database, is that correct? Or, do I place some other number in the panel based on the estimates you ae talking about? Do these come from the history file and are they just guesses based on what the numbers did last time there was a drawing?

What numbers do you place in the panel after you have your sorted file? IS this where I am missing the "finer points of using this system?" How do I go about produc9ing results that make sense to me? Is this part of the estimate thing you are talking about?

The other thing you said about, " the estimates" being correct in all 11 columns has me confused as well. How do I arrive at these "estimates" and where do I plug them in?

I also have found some errors in the stats programs (see other post) that have me worried as some of the numbers are so far off I am wondering where in the heck the EL gets them from. For example in the last 75 drawings the EL says the number 5 has appeared 36 times when it has only appeared 4 times. So the precentages are off and I am wondering if there are other "bugs" in the program and how we get around them much less stumbel our way through what appears to be quite confusing for this "old boy." :vogel:

I have read many of your posts and note you are an active user of EL. Was it as confusing for you when you started or am I too old a dog to be taught new tricks? :vogel: I have been puting 8 plus hours a day into this for the last four days and it still does not make much sense to me. What "turned the cormer" for you?

Thanks in advance
Bob
Bob1140

Postby stan » Sat May 20, 2006 6:00 pm

hello bob,

pls try the latest version 4.2.0. it has updated documentation with new step-by-step instructions for wn history filtering.
let me know if that still doesn't shed any new light for you and i'll try to walk you through it.

regards,
stan
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Sat May 20, 2006 6:20 pm

also pls note that wn history ignores bonus and powerball numbers. for the wn history filter tickets 1,2,3,4,5,6,[10] and 1,2,3,4,5,6,[25] are equal.
so it's better to set the powerball number to a single numbers, e.g. "1" when doing wn history filtering and use other functions to choose the powerball later on.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Anything Else