If you won the lottery...

If you won the lottery...

Postby laurontario » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 pm

... would you keep working or quit and enjoy life?

I had this discussion with some colleague one day during lunch. We were talking about the jackpot (which, by the way, it was a nice 37 million $ at that time) and someone ask me this question.

I answered in a blink 'Hell, no!'.
But, what would you do, then? The money won't last too long!

I did a quick calculation:
1. I don't expect to live more than 40 years from now on (even if I do, as years go by I am sure that after 65-70 years my needs will be not as high as now.
2. Assuming that from those 37 millions I would spend 5 millions quickly on different things (still don't really know how could I spend 5 mils so quickly, but, let's just asume for now)., that leaves 32 millions, which, invested would return at a minimum 2% interest, a nice 640,000$ a year (should I mention that I don't make that kind of money now?!)
3. this 640K is taxable so, after the government takes its share I would be left with about half of it (minimum) - 320K

Well... that is 320K a year, more than what I am making right now and I don't need to go to work. Besides, remember the 32 mils I invested? Well... I would not touch those money, since I would live from interest

Another scenario is the following:
4. 37 million divided by 40 years (my life expectancy from now on) = 925K/year (this would be tax free, since all lottery winnings are non-taxable here in Canada)

So, bottom line is that if I ever hit a big jackpot over 20 mils, I would quit my job in the next minute.

Next question is, what to do with all this free time?
I don't know about you but this world is soooo big, there are so many things to see and life is so short. I would travel a lot, go fishing, etc. ... do all those things I always wanted to do and never had enough money or time.

I then read somewhere that a large percentage of Americans would keep their job if they won the lottery (?!?)

So, the question is, what would you do if you won the lottery?
laurontario

Return to Anything Else