how fast to filterout using this processor

Postby CARBOB » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:11 pm

[quote=lottoboy]
[quote=stan:1206542580]
a few notes on expert lotto performance:
- multi-core CPUs won't help that much. all filtering runs in a single thread so a single core can serve it. however having more cores means that other applications will be more responsive when running lengthy tasks. or you can even run two instances of expert lotto at the same time (i'd recommend 4 cores at least) running a different filter each
- CPU frequency does matter. faster CPU means faster running expert lotto. but you should always consider value/money ratio. for example 5% speedup is barely noticeable and probably not worth the extra money
- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory (-Xmx512 should be enough unless you want to run minimizer filter on a large package), otherwise some CPU cycles will be lost on memory garbage collecting
- disk speed is not an issue, unless you have some ages (5+ years) old drive
- check for other applications running at background, they also eat up memory and cpu. you should clear your 'startup' folder in start menu and if you're brave/experienced enough, start registry editor and look at what you have in 'softwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversion un'. some people tend to install every piece of shareware/freeware utility so a lot of crap can accumulate there. your windows will also start faster if you clean this a bit. but do so only if you know what you're doing! you might end up reinstalling windows otherwise:)
[/quote]

Stan,

I'm confused with your old post above.

"- multi-core CPUs won't help that much. all filtering runs in a single thread so a single core can serve it." If so, why do you recommend me to buy a PC with quad core since i just use my new PC for EL Program or filters only?

"- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory " What's happen if my new PC's RAM is 4 GB? If or not the EL Program or filters should not work well by using my new PC?

I'm sorry to bother you again.

[/quote]

lottoboy, the new version of EL will be able to handle multi- thread, you can do multi-thread with this version , but you will need to find the post which shows how to do this.
CARBOB

Postby lottoboy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Carbob,

Thanks for your sincere attention. But where can I find the post about using
the new PC with multicore-CPU and big RAM for EL? Thanks.
lottoboy

Postby CARBOB » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Do a seach for CSenor
CARBOB

Postby stan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 am

[quote=lottoboy:1240375551]
[quote=stan:1206542580]
a few notes on expert lotto performance:
- multi-core CPUs won't help that much. all filtering runs in a single thread so a single core can serve it. however having more cores means that other applications will be more responsive when running lengthy tasks. or you can even run two instances of expert lotto at the same time (i'd recommend 4 cores at least) running a different filter each
- CPU frequency does matter. faster CPU means faster running expert lotto. but you should always consider value/money ratio. for example 5% speedup is barely noticeable and probably not worth the extra money
- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory (-Xmx512 should be enough unless you want to run minimizer filter on a large package), otherwise some CPU cycles will be lost on memory garbage collecting
- disk speed is not an issue, unless you have some ages (5+ years) old drive
- check for other applications running at background, they also eat up memory and cpu. you should clear your 'startup' folder in start menu and if you're brave/experienced enough, start registry editor and look at what you have in 'softwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversion un'. some people tend to install every piece of shareware/freeware utility so a lot of crap can accumulate there. your windows will also start faster if you clean this a bit. but do so only if you know what you're doing! you might end up reinstalling windows otherwise:)
[/quote]

Stan,

I'm confused with your old post above.

"- multi-core CPUs won't help that much. all filtering runs in a single thread so a single core can serve it." If so, why do you recommend me to buy a PC with quad core since i just use my new PC for EL Program or filters only?
[/quote]
as of version 4.5.0 most of the filters and stats are multithreaded so you'll be able to fully utilize your new multicore processor. the comment above applies to earlier versions of expert lotto

"- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory " What's happen if my new PC's RAM is 4 GB? If or not the EL Program or filters should not work well by using my new PC?

everything will work fine. set expert lotto memory to 1 or 2gb
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby lottoboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi, Stan:

I'm so happy to receive your answer, thank you so much!!!

"as of version 4.5.0 most of the filters and stats are multithreaded so you'll be able to fully utilize your new multicore processor."

Could you let me know which filters of V4.5.0 can not be multithreaded?

"set expert lotto memory to 1 or 2gb"

If or not your means is that I can order the PC with 4GB of RAM but I need to set the memory to 1 or 2GB for EL by myself after I receiving my new PC?
If so, how can I make the setting? Thanks.
lottoboy

Postby stan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 pm

[quote=lottoboy]
Hi, Stan:

I'm so happy to receive your answer, thank you so much!!!

"as of version 4.5.0 most of the filters and stats are multithreaded so you'll be able to fully utilize your new multicore processor."

Could you let me know which filters of V4.5.0 can not be multithreaded?
[/quote]
coverage filters (minimizer, optimizer...), match package, match file, best tickets, multiple segment combinations

"set expert lotto memory to 1 or 2gb"

If or not your means is that I can order the PC with 4GB of RAM but I need to set the memory to 1 or 2GB for EL by myself after I receiving my new PC?
If so, how can I make the setting? Thanks.

search this forum for "xmx"
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby lottoboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am

Stan,

I'm very clear for the first question now. Thanks for your sincere and detail instructions!!!

But the second one is still ambiguous to me. The "xmx" is in your old post only as below:

"- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory (-Xmx512 should be enough unless you want to run minimizer filter on a large package), otherwise some CPU cycles will be lost on memory garbage collecting"

I'm so sorry for my poor computer knowledge. Could you give me a direct advise about it? My new PC's memory is 3-4GB. How can I reset it for V4/V5?
OR I don't need to reset anything and can use it to run V4 directly once I download old V4 into my new PC? I don't understand the limit of RAM really and what I need to do for my new PC too. I'm so sorry to bother you again.
lottoboy

Postby stan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 pm

leave everything as it is and contact me when you get 'out of memory error' in expert lotto v 4
version 5 will have better memory management and you won't need any tweaking then
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby lottoboy » Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 pm

[quote=stan]
leave everything as it is and contact me when you get 'out of memory error' in expert lotto v 4
version 5 will have better memory management and you won't need any tweaking then
[/quote]

I will....
Thanks a lots again!!!
lottoboy

Help!!!

Postby lottoboy » Thu May 21, 2009 5:20 am

Hi, Stan:

I have received my new DELL Desktop PC (Studio Slim-Tower, Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200-2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, w/ 4MBcache; HD=640GB; RAM=4GB) today.

There are two problems in my EL running:
1) I can not open EL by using the shout cut on the desktop but have to use the bin in my EL Packge in C section. The information is on the screen:"Coluld not find the main class: com. expertlotto. Program will exit." when I clicked the butten of shout cut on the desktop.

2) The information is on the screen:"Error while saving Winning Numbers database to disk File not found: C:Program FilesExpert Lottodata.....(Access is denied)" when I closed my winning #s window or EL Program.

How can I correct those errors above? Thanks.
lottoboy

Postby stan » Thu May 21, 2009 12:55 pm

[quote=lottoboy]
Hi, Stan:

I have received my new DELL Desktop PC (Studio Slim-Tower, Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200-2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, w/ 4MBcache; HD=640GB; RAM=4GB) today.

1) I can not open EL by using the shout cut on the desktop but have to use the bin in my EL Packge in C section. The information is on the screen:"Coluld not find the main class: com. expertlotto. Program will exit." when I clicked the butten of shout cut on the desktop.

2) The information is on the screen:"Error while saving Winning Numbers database to disk File not found: C:Program FilesExpert Lottodata.....(Access is denied)" when I closed my winning #s window or EL Program.

[/quote]

get installer for windows vista from expert lotto web and install it to "c:expertlotto"
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby lottoboy » Thu May 21, 2009 3:12 pm

[quote=stan]
[quote=lottoboy]
Hi, Stan:

[/quote]

get installer for windows vista from expert lotto web and install it to "c:expertlotto"
[/quote]

Stan,

Thanks for your sincere help!!!

But I'm still not sure how can I do that step by step?
I'm so sorry to bother you again. Thanks.
lottoboy

Postby stan » Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 pm

[quote=lottoboy:1242911558]
[quote=stan]
[quote=lottoboy]
Hi, Stan:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Stan,

Thanks for your sincere help!!!

But I'm still not sure how can I do that step by step?
I'm so sorry to bother you again. Thanks.
[/quote]

download this file: http://www.expertlotto.com/files/setup.exe
execute it and keep clicking 'next' button in the install wizard until it says 'finished'...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby lottoboy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 am

Stan,
Thanks for your sincere help!

I'm done for the instoller but I'm not sure why and how can resolve the problem as below:

1) The history data in my Segmants on the Show bar of WN History page is not match with the history data in my Back Test on the Segments of WNH Filter. For example, the segment is 1-3-2 in Col. -5 on the Segmants of the Show bar in WNH Page but the segment is 2-3-1 on the Back Test of WNH Filter for same time and same column. I'm not sure which one is correct. And such confusioned data is so many in my WNH Filter. I thought that the problem came from my installing operation for my new PC but I found the same things exist in my old PC too. Why? What's happen for my EL Program? Is it bug? or my wrong operations?

2) Also, I find the result of the Statistics is very different from the Segments Filter in WNH. For example, after I clicked the Calculate Stats for WNs only, I opened the window of WNH Segments in "Show Stats for,"
then I highlighted the line of 4-1-1 in Column -5, clicked the Filter on the left coner, clicked the buttons of Back-test or Leave/Remove, the both running results of BT & Filter should be same with the results by using the Segments Filter in WNH Page for same column and segment. But they are very different in my EL infact. Why?

How can I resolve the problems above next? I'm looking forward to your advises about it now. Thank you so much for your sincere help!!!!
lottoboy

Previous

Return to Anything Else