how fast to filterout using this processor

Postby sysp34 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:00 am

[quote=CSenior]
Attached is your request.
[/quote]

ops sorry, cybercafe use this, it a "very-2" affordable but after one or two years then the problem will be arise :-)

wow you use one of my favorite brand, how much it cost for the mobo? since you have "deluxe" i believe it cost between $100 to $200 is it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sysp34

Postby CSenior » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:23 am

I paid $324 US for it from NewEGG

The hard part now is to over clock the CPU and Memory.
CSenior

Postby sysp34 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:51 am

[quote=CSenior]
[/quote]

to over clock we must use excellent PSU (Power Supply Unit), a friend have same brand but designed for dual core, when i use dynamic the psu (power led blinking which indicate "not" enough voltage but when i disable the technology it work well

gl
sysp34

Postby Sledge » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:13 am

You lucky dog CSenior you got a G0 Stepping which should over clock nicley for you...Congrats

I just built this and it is over clocked stable for about 4 months now...

[m]Image

Image[/m]
Sledge

Postby CSenior » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:13 am

[quote=sysp34]
[quote=CSenior]
[/quote]

to over clock we must use excellent PSU (Power Supply Unit), a friend have same brand but designed for dual core, when i use dynamic the psu (power led blinking which indicate "not" enough voltage but when i disable the technology it work well

gl
[/quote]

My PSU should handle all fine.
CSenior

Postby CSenior » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:19 am

[quote=Sledge]
You lucky dog CSenior you got a G0 Stepping which should over clock nicley for you...Congrats

I just built this and it is over clocked stable for about 4 months now...

[m]Image

Image[/m]
[/quote]

Thanks Sledge!

You have a nice setup there too. My score is overall score is 5.6 because of my RAM. I have not had time to play with the settings. Did you change your RAM settings to score 5.9 or did it come already set from factory? I noticed you took a hit on the primary hard drive. What kind of hard drives are you using?
CSenior

Postby Sledge » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Here is the system. All parts ordered from newegg.

1 x Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
1 x ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
1 x ABS Tagan ITZ Series ITZ1100 ATX12V / EPS12V 1100W Power Supply - Retail
[s]1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM[/s]
1 x EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
1 x G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ - Retail
1 x Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black USB Ergonomics Keyboard Mouse Included - OEM
1 x SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
1 x ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

The Drive ended up dieing after a month so I ordered a WD the second go around and have had no problems since. If your building a new system stay away from that Seagate Barracuda.

To answer the original question...The only thing that really takes me any time is when I run a VAlue predictor with 2000 lines and do a 100 row back test.

Most other filtering ect take no time at all
Sledge

Postby CSenior » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:01 pm

That is a sweet setup! Hope you got the WD 10K Raptor! I have been using WD drives since 2003 and I have not had any failures to date. I think they are absolutely the best.
CSenior

Postby stan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:43 pm

a few notes on expert lotto performance:
- multi-core CPUs won't help that much. all filtering runs in a single thread so a single core can serve it. however having more cores means that other applications will be more responsive when running lengthy tasks. or you can even run two instances of expert lotto at the same time (i'd recommend 4 cores at least) running a different filter each
- CPU frequency does matter. faster CPU means faster running expert lotto. but you should always consider value/money ratio. for example 5% speedup is barely noticeable and probably not worth the extra money
- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory (-Xmx512 should be enough unless you want to run minimizer filter on a large package), otherwise some CPU cycles will be lost on memory garbage collecting
- disk speed is not an issue, unless you have some ages (5+ years) old drive
- check for other applications running at background, they also eat up memory and cpu. you should clear your 'startup' folder in start menu and if you're brave/experienced enough, start registry editor and look at what you have in 'softwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversion un'. some people tend to install every piece of shareware/freeware utility so a lot of crap can accumulate there. your windows will also start faster if you clean this a bit. but do so only if you know what you're doing! you might end up reinstalling windows otherwise:)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Stan

all filtering runs in a single thread

Is that a java limitation or a EL programing limitation?

Just for info, I read recently that one of the motherboard manufactures will be producing a board later this year that will have a "java" chip on board that will substantially improve the performance of java written programs.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:45 pm

[quote=Bobijohn]
Stan

all filtering runs in a single thread

Is that a java limitation or a EL programing limitation?
[/quote]

that's expert lotto limitation.
i already have brand new, multi-threaded application framework on my mind but it'd mean rewriting most of the code from scratch...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:49 am

Stan

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would it be practical, or even feasible, to just multi-thread those routines in the program that take a long time to run? There are numerous posts in the forum regarding run time being a concern.

Bobijohn.
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 pm

[quote=Bobijohn:1206751787]
Stan

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would it be practical, or even feasible, to just multi-thread those routines in the program that take a long time to run? There are numerous posts in the forum regarding run time being a concern.

Bobijohn.
[/quote]

well, feasible it is and practical as well, especially package filtering could be broken up into several pipe lines. but it's not a trivial task, especially synchronization...
but i'll try experimenting with it a bit
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:26 am

Stan

Thanks for the information. For those of us with multi-core machines it would be a most welcome enhancement to multi- thread the heavy duty cpu tasks. However, I certainly understand that this is not a top priority at this time. I look forward to it seeing it some time in the future.

Bobijohn.
Bobijohn

Postby lottoboy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:45 am

[quote=stan:1206542580]
a few notes on expert lotto performance:
- multi-core CPUs won't help that much. all filtering runs in a single thread so a single core can serve it. however having more cores means that other applications will be more responsive when running lengthy tasks. or you can even run two instances of expert lotto at the same time (i'd recommend 4 cores at least) running a different filter each
- CPU frequency does matter. faster CPU means faster running expert lotto. but you should always consider value/money ratio. for example 5% speedup is barely noticeable and probably not worth the extra money
- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory (-Xmx512 should be enough unless you want to run minimizer filter on a large package), otherwise some CPU cycles will be lost on memory garbage collecting
- disk speed is not an issue, unless you have some ages (5+ years) old drive
- check for other applications running at background, they also eat up memory and cpu. you should clear your 'startup' folder in start menu and if you're brave/experienced enough, start registry editor and look at what you have in 'softwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversion un'. some people tend to install every piece of shareware/freeware utility so a lot of crap can accumulate there. your windows will also start faster if you clean this a bit. but do so only if you know what you're doing! you might end up reinstalling windows otherwise:)
[/quote]

Stan,

I'm confused with your old post above.

"- multi-core CPUs won't help that much. all filtering runs in a single thread so a single core can serve it." If so, why do you recommend me to buy a PC with quad core since i just use my new PC for EL Program or filters only?

"- more free memory does help. 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB is better if you run expert lotto in background. but don't give expert lotto too much free memory " What's happen if my new PC's RAM is 4 GB? If or not the EL Program or filters should not work well by using my new PC?

I'm sorry to bother you again.
lottoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Else