Package Reduction

Package Reduction

Postby pyst7lot » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 am

I'm not sure if I understand or am doing what I hope to be able to do. I like the reduction feature in Lotwin Lottery Line Builder which enables you to reduce your lines. For example you can select to reduce so that only one line in your 'package' will have a unique set of numbers - any other line with that set of numbers will be eliminated. Really hoping someone is familiar with Lotwin so they will know what the devil I'm talking about. :)
pyst7lot

Re: Package Reduction

Postby D1Magnet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi pyst7lot, I think this may be what you are referring to:
(From Lot Win Help File )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reduce
If your filters have created many more lines than you want to enter in the lottery, then use the reduction facility to generate a much smaller set of lines. LotWin does this in such a way that the reduced set will guarantee at least one prize if your initial set contains the winning line.
LotWin Pro offers 2 reduction modes: standard and optimum.

The standard reduction can reduce your lines while still guaranteeing 1 to 10 (or more when optimising for maximum returns) entries having 2, 3, 4 or (in the case of a 6 ball lottery) 5 correct numbers if the full set includes the jackpot. This function uses from 10 to 100,000 passes to find the smallest set possible. It is advisable to set the number of passes high for better reductions as you can stop the reduction process at any time when you are happy with the outcome. The standard reduction uses a different starting point every time it is run, so that if you reduce the same set of lines twice the actual lines contained in the reduced list may be different, although a similar scale of reduction will be achieved.

The optimum reduction uses only one pass to generate a reduced set and can guarantee only one entry having the specified number of correct numbers. But overall it offers much better reductions than the standard method and it also offers a Reduced Guarantee feature. Usually this method is preferable if the chosen filters have created very large numbers of lines.
The reduced guarantee feature is best illustrated by means of an example:

Assume that the optimum reduction has found 80 lines that guarantee at least 1 line of 3 correct numbers if the full set contains the winning line. Checking the reduced guarantee option might show that 10 of the 80 lines give a chance of 90% of having a line with 3 correct numbers. In this case it is probably better value for money to enter these 10 lines and have a 90% chance of winning a prize, than entering all 80 lines.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I understand above, after finding a large amount of tickets in Lotwin that have high odds of jackpot success, you then want to reduce to maintain a certain winning guarantee (linked to this large amount of Lotwin tickets).

If you are using the optimum reduction method in Lotwin, there should be one ticket left, that would still guarantee high probability of winning ( as it is based on the larger Lotwin tickets with high jackpot success)

(in this example) a ticket with 3 winning numbers correct out of 6.
Using Demo 6/49 Lotto main numbers result: 2010/29 Wed 2nd 2 12 13 27 29 31. This is the next winning draw to aim for, (current draw is 2010/29 Sun 1st)

To try and recreate this scenario (from the Lotwin help file), I wheeled 20 numbers on Demo 6/49 Lotto (6/6 correct in this 20 number group - this is hindsight knowledge though for this example), then used a guaranteed 3 if 3 wheel for 20 numbers, from La Jolla Covering Repository that had 71 tickets.
https://ljcr.dmgordon.org/cover/show_co ... 20&k=6&t=3

I inserted my 20 numbers in to the La Jolla wheel & inserted this into the Expert Lotto Package. I toggled my date back so the latest draw is 2010/29 Sun 1st.
Now, to try and reduce in EL, the best way I saw to try and get a low amount of tickets remaining was to use either the "Match Winning Numbers" filter or "Highest Match" filter

I tried 10 latest draws & also 5 latest draws. Then try just selecting match 2 only, OR match 3 only, OR match 4 only, OR match 5 only, and this should leave a lower amount of tickets, well under 10 tickets left with a 3/3 win (from the La Jolla 3/3 wheel guarantee).

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D1Magnet

Postby D1Magnet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Also just to add to the above Demo 6/49 example, if you use 13 latest draws on either "Match Winning Numbers" or "Highest Match" filter and select match 3 only, you get 15 tickets left with four 3/3 correct tickets.
When you use 10 latest draws and select match 3 only, you get 3 tickets left with just the one 3/3 correct ticket.
Using 5 latest draws and selecting match 3 only, you get 1 ticket left and its only 2/3 correct.
D1Magnet

Postby pyst7lot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks for the reply which I need to take a closer look at BUT I forgot to ask the most important thing in my original post. Am I able to do this sort of thing in Expert Lotto? I see a Reduce function under the Package Tab but I'm not sure if anything in this does the same as Lotwin's reduction function.
pyst7lot

Postby D1Magnet » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 am

Hi pyst7lot,
I'm not 100% sure if EL’s Package...Reduce feature would work identically the same as Lotwin’s (Lotwin would probably have it’s own internal ticket reducing algorithm built inside it’s software). From my previous reply and what I’ve typed below, I’ve tried to work out similar methods in EL of reducing the example 71 tickets package, whilst still guaranteeing a 3/6 win.

With EL’s Package Reduce feature, you could try: Package ..Reduce .. Optimize Coverage. When this was done to the 71 tickets example above, there were 19 tickets remaining from selecting 100% guarantee of matching 3 when 6 numbers are correct & smaller resulting wheel selected. And also in this 71 tickets example there was 1x 4/6 prize correct and also 3x 3/6 correct. When I tried a 95% coverage (same settings), I got 8 tickets left with 2x 3/6 correct and 1x 4/6 correct. Then I tried 90% coverage (same settings), I got 7 tickets left with 2x 3/6 correct and 1x 4/6 correct.

EL's Optimize Coverage feature does sounds quite similar to Lotwin's Optimum reduction feature though. For example, Lotwin does one pass only, EL runs the optimize feature once & gets a result, Lotwin's Optimum Reduction help file mentions a "reduced guarantee" feature eg 10 out 80 lines having a 90% guarantee, this sounds very similar to EL's 90% coverage guarantee which in the 71 tickets example gave 7 tickets remaining.

You can see more in the EL help file example online here http://www.expertlotto.com/en/help/index.htm Look for “Package Reduce” (or here)
http://www.expertlotto.com/en/help/en/_ ... age_reduce . You can also search for Package Reduce inside the software’s help file.

This help file also discusses obtaining 3/6 correct in a 20 number pool. https://www.expertlotto.com/en/help/en/ ... mizer.html

Also under Package...Reduce there are some other methods (as described in the EL help file)
Systematic Selection, for example, if you selected Accept every 7th ticket in the 71 ticket package, 10 tickets are left afterwards with 2x 3/6 correct and 2x 4/6 correct tickets.

Best Tickets, select 10 best tickets to keep, using this didn’t give any 3/6 tickets BUT, when I chose 10 worst tickets, it left 4x 3/6 correct tickets and 1x 4/6 correct tickets, in the 71 Demo 6/49 tickets.

Random Selection, when I chose Accept 10 random rickets, it left some 3 and sometimes 4 prizes each time I tried it. This just randomly selects 10 tickets, but because the 71 ticket wheel already had quite a few 3/6 and 4/6 correct tickets, the random feature worked quite well each time I tested it.

Mutual Match, this didn’t give any 3/6 tickets from the 71 tickets example, when I tried it with Accept 4 only, it left 3 tickets with only 1/6 correct. (See more about this filter in the help file or on these threads):
http://expertlotto.com/en/forum/viewtop ... tch#p23996
http://expertlotto.com/en/forum/viewtop ... tch#p16650
http://expertlotto.com/en/forum/viewtop ... tch#p15565

Hope this helps!
D1Magnet

Return to Comments, suggestions, feature requests