edit lottery settings

edit lottery settings

Postby niceguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:01 am

hi Stan

In New Zealand our "Big Wednesday" lotto has always had 45 numbers from which you select 6 winning numbers. However, recently this was changed to 50 numbers ( instead of 45).

What I would like to know is, how do I edit my "Wednesday lotto", so it will operate using 50 numbers, & yet keep all the previous information (stats etc) from when it was operated using 45 numbers? I am using Expert Lotto v5.

Thanks Stan.
niceguy

Re: edit lottery settings

Postby stan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm

start notepad or wordpad (or any plain text editor), go to the folder with your lottery data, open lottery.xml file and change all occurrences of "45" to "50"
but make a backup copy of lottery.xml file first. there might be some problems with the ticket panel setup (more columns or rows)

or you can just create a new lottery according to the new rules and then import past winning numbers. since the number pool is larger there will be no problems with the import.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby niceguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 am

Thanks Stan

It wouldn't seem to let me edit the .xml file from 45 to 50.
I ended up having to create a new lottery & import all the past winning numbers ( a rather long winded way around it). Just wondering if there is any chance of making it so that we can easily edit any setting (such as this ) from Expert Lotto program itself? I seem to remember we could do this with version 4 ??
Many thanks for your help Stan, I really appreciate it :)
niceguy

Postby stan » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:52 pm

niceguy wrote:Thanks Stan

It wouldn't seem to let me edit the .xml file from 45 to 50.

why not? was there a problem with editing or an error when opening modified lottery?

I ended up having to create a new lottery & import all the past winning numbers ( a rather long winded way around it). Just wondering if there is any chance of making it so that we can easily edit any setting (such as this ) from Expert Lotto program itself? I seem to remember we could do this with version 4 ??
Many thanks for your help Stan, I really appreciate it :)

there is a feature request for lottery settings editor. but when implemented it will not allow changes to all lottery settings. when changing number pool size from e.g. 40 to 30 or increasing the ticket size from 6 to 7 will not load the existing wn database. it will also break all stored filters and other user preferences.
that's why there's the new lottery wizard where you can setup a new lottery in a few mouse clicks.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby niceguy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 am

Hi Stan
I'm not sure why it wouldn't let me alter the .xml file, but on thinking about it afterwards, it may have been because I had that particular lotto open in Expert lotto?
Good as about altering the exsisting lotto settings. :)

Many thanks Stan
niceguy

Postby Mirel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:05 pm

By switching to 50 numbers , old statistics are not good for anything . It's a new lottery that be taken from zero .Lottery players should protest because these kinds of changes are frequent .
Mirel

Postby Mirel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Another possibility : you take another game history 6/50 ( Texas Lotto 6/50 , Brazil Lotto 6/50 or other ) , with synchronization
of the data draws . At first will be some disturbance , but subside with time . Is interesting parallel tracking of the those two Lottery games , in the future.
At 6/49 Romanian , 6 years ago , the mechanical urn was replaced with a blower , but the lotto players use of all 20 years old history of lotto game !
Mirel

Postby stan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Mirel wrote:By switching to 50 numbers , old statistics are not good for anything . It's a new lottery that be taken from zero .

well, it depends. if the same drawing machines are being used then the number sequences just continue. otherwise you should purge your lottery database every time the lottery commission changes the drawing machines.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Mirel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:41 am

To continue idea with Brazilian lottery ... in local game 6/49 ( Jackpot = 5 million euro) , number 47 has not appeared for 70 consecutive draws (!?) , but during this period 47 occurred in drawings of other lotteries 6/49 from other countries. Here , drawings is Thursday and Sunday , in Germany is Wednesday and Saturday , in Taiwan is Tuesday and Friday etc. ( all 6/49 , sometimes without the bonus ball ).Concatenate the drawings from many countries , depending on the day of week and time zone , is not a new idea. Game 6/49 exists in many countries , a huge database with ten thousand drawings can be obtained easily only with drawings after the year 2000 .I do not know if it gives results .
Mirel

Postby LottoTrout » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 am

"well, it depends. if the same drawing machines are being used then the number sequences just continue. otherwise you should purge your lottery database every time the lottery commission changes the drawing machines."..............Stan are you suggesting to delete the data base....... if so how may you tell when they use a new machine?
LottoTrout

Postby stan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 pm

LottoTrout wrote:"well, it depends. if the same drawing machines are being used then the number sequences just continue. otherwise you should purge your lottery database every time the lottery commission changes the drawing machines."..............Stan are you suggesting to delete the data base
yes and no. i know lottery players how believe there's a sequence of numbers starting in the past and continuing into the future. and they don't care how those numbers are produced.
then there are lottery players who believe in physical factors, like the weight of the balls, the drawing machines being used etc. those players do care when the lottery commission changed the drawing machines or when they do a test draw before drawing the actual winning numbers.
....... if so how may you tell when they use a new machine?

it depends how much information the lottery commission makes available (and whether you care at all).
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Comments, suggestions, feature requests