Print Chart in Version 5

Re: Print Chart in Version 5

Postby stan » Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 am

Savage_Rottweiler wrote: one thing I would like to see in the future is 3D Charts.

can you give an example please?
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Savage_Rottweiler » Wed May 11, 2011 12:05 pm

stan wrote:
Savage_Rottweiler wrote: one thing I would like to see in the future is 3D Charts.

Stan surely you know what a 3D chart is?
Savage_Rottweiler

Postby stan » Wed May 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Savage_Rottweiler wrote:
stan wrote:

Stan surely you know what a 3D chart is?

i do, i'd like to know what kind of data a 3d chart should be showing...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Savage_Rottweiler » Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 am

stan wrote:
i do, i'd like to know what kind of data a 3d chart should be showing...

One example Stan, when I'm viewing Summary History Charts and using the "Compare with" using 3 or more Levels the Charts become in my opinion its to cluttered, 3D views of same data become easier to view.

Don't think I'm knocking EL5, its a great program, it's just a feature that I think would make it better, maybe I am the only one here that thinks so, when I use to use Delphi 20 years ago it had 3D chart libraries back then, one would think Netbeans would have them too.

Savage...
Savage_Rottweiler

Postby Savage_Rottweiler » Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 am

Stan here is a quick example, with 3D Charts I'm not limited to one viewpoint...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Savage_Rottweiler

Postby Jerzy » Thu May 12, 2011 4:43 am

Stan,

3 D charts make sense only if they provide more information than the existing charts can do, but probably this is not the case.

3 D charts look horrible and discouraging and might be unreadable to average EL5 user. They could be more cluttered than the existing charts.

If you decide to introduce 3D charts please include also the possibility of switching this feature off.
Jerzy

Postby Savage_Rottweiler » Thu May 12, 2011 5:02 am

Jerzy wrote:Stan,

3 D charts make sense only if they provide more information than the existing charts can do, but probably this is not the case.

3 D charts look horrible and discouraging and might be unreadable to average EL5 user. They could be more cluttered than the existing charts.

If you decide to introduce 3D charts please include also the possibility of switching this feature off.

I do agree with you Jerzy in part, there should be a setting to turn on 3D when needed, not all charts would need this feature, but I find it hard to believe that 3D charts look horrible and unreadable, the example picture of EL5 is way less readable and cluttered, remember that 3D charts can be viewed from by more than one perspective.
Savage_Rottweiler

Postby Jerzy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:21 am

Savage_Rottweiler,

It is possible that 3D charts would provide more useful information than ordinary charts, but it depends on the implementation of this idea and the skills of the user. Some users, including you, would find it useful. I might find it useful only if it helps me in anything. I am just not sure about it.

Any charts, and particularly 3D charts, if overloaded with information, could be unreadable or not worth reading. Currently EL5 provides a lot of information which the user can include or exclude from the charts.

As new features are added, the EL 5 becomes increasingly complex and difficult to use, particularly for the beginners. Probably in the future Stan would need to create 3 versions of EL 5: basic, advanced and the most advanced version, for people with various levels of skills.
Jerzy

Postby Savage_Rottweiler » Thu May 12, 2011 6:39 am

Jerzy,
As I said earlier, 3D charts would be nice, I'm not saying its a must, it would just be nice if I never had to open up Excel and import data across, it would be like doing Video Editing or Photoshop Edits and having to use other Application to do some of the work.

Savage...
Savage_Rottweiler

Postby Jerzy » Thu May 12, 2011 7:09 am

OK, Savage... I understand. I am not against your ideas. I might even find it useful if they are implemented properly.
But it should not be overwhelming to average user.
Jerzy

Postby stan » Fri May 13, 2011 9:15 am

Savage_Rottweiler wrote:Stan here is a quick example, with 3D Charts I'm not limited to one viewpoint...

which tool did you use to create that 3D chart?
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Savage_Rottweiler » Fri May 13, 2011 9:36 am

stan wrote:
Savage_Rottweiler wrote:Stan here is a quick example, with 3D Charts I'm not limited to one viewpoint...

Stan that was only created in Excel, 3D rotation is not that brilliant using it, in other charts I have used Left Clicking and moving mouse Rotates Chart.

As I said maybe I am the only user here that would like to see this feature, it just come from years of using them, they just seem easier to read on certain types of data.
Savage_Rottweiler

Postby stan » Fri May 13, 2011 9:52 am

Savage_Rottweiler wrote:
stan wrote:

Stan that was only created in Excel, 3D rotation is not that brilliant using it, in other charts I have used Left Clicking and moving mouse Rotates Chart.

if there's an excel formula to create such a 3d chart, i can make it as an option when exporting table data...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Savage_Rottweiler » Fri May 13, 2011 10:50 am

stan wrote:if there's an excel formula to create such a 3d chart, i can make it as an option when exporting table data...

There could possibly be, but I'm not sure at this point, I don't normally use Excel, Numbers is better on Mac Platform, its not that hard to create the charts, and no one else here seems concerned about 3D, maybe one day in a future release of EL this can be included, but time been, I know you are very busy with current Developments plus Family time.
Savage_Rottweiler

Postby stan » Fri May 13, 2011 11:22 am

Savage_Rottweiler wrote:
stan wrote:if there's an excel formula to create such a 3d chart, i can make it as an option when exporting table data...

There could possibly be, but I'm not sure at this point, I don't normally use Excel, Numbers is better on Mac Platform, its not that hard to create the charts, and no one else here seems concerned about 3D, maybe one day in a future release of EL this can be included, but time been, I know you are very busy with current Developments plus Family time.

proper implemenation of 3d chart would have to include zooming, rotation and other capabilities to fully leverage the 3d presentation. the chart library i'm using might provide some 3d-like charts but it wouldn't be any big improvement over the current 2d charts.
but please add a feature request for this in the issue tracker, i might find some better library in the future
(and thank you for your understanding:)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tips + Tricks