Slow processing

Slow processing

Postby Gatsby » Tue May 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Stan,

I´m presently running a double core 6300 1,8 processor with 3 gb ram memmory.

Although in most of filters i don´t feel the sistem is too slow when it comes to combined stats filter i do. Even changing one filter to another inside
a group filter is a bit of a drag and the performance is overall very bad.

Can something be done about this? I remeber that sometime someone asked to increase the memory to use with EL, is this possible and how can i do it?

Thank you very much.
Gatsby

Re: Slow processing

Postby stan » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 pm

Do you have 64-bit operating system? If so, do you use 64bit Java runtime? You can find out in Expert Lotto in menu Help - About.
You should give the application 1GB of RAM at most but I'm not sure if it would improve performance that much. Also check in WIndows Task Manager which processes are running and how many % of your CPU they consume.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 pm

i Stan,

32 bit operating system, x-64 based processor.

This is what´s in menu help about.

Application Version: Expert Lotto 5.4 [130329]
Java Version: 1.7.0_21; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 23.21-b01
System Version: Windows 8 version 6.2 running on x86; en_US (expertlotto)
User Dir: C:\Users\Filipe\AppData\Roaming\.expertlotto\release
Lottery name: Euromilhões Portugal
Lottery dir: D:\Euromilhões Portugal (Terças e Sextas)
Lottery URL: http://euromillions.eu

And BTW, after installing Windows 8 and reinstalling EL5, the red dashed line that used to appear when i Backtested a filter disapeared in Design Tab. That´s a useful feature though...
Gatsby

Postby stan » Wed May 29, 2013 10:32 am

Gatsby wrote:i Stan,

32 bit operating system, x-64 based processor.

Then it's probably the best to leave RAM settings at their default values.

Did you check the task manager to see which processes are running and how much CPU they consume?

And BTW, after installing Windows 8 and reinstalling EL5, the red dashed line that used to appear when i Backtested a filter disapeared in Design Tab. That´s a useful feature though...

Sorry, what are you referring to?
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Wed May 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Stan,

1.st: so i guess the filters with combined stats need more power and memory...i will try to upgrade, do you think that if my MB support it a dual core with 2.8 gh will do or it´s better to move to a 64 bit operating system?

(whenever i load a filter with combined stats all the functions of EL became slower, isn´t something i can do about this, except not using combined stats :) ?)

2nd. when i was using Windows XP, whenever i used the backtest funtion and there were draws being rejected when i returned to the Design Board the filters that didn´t pass were in red colour (not dashed with a red line, sorry). But after changing the Windows system, besides some changes in the appearence of EL i don´t see that happening. Wasn´t this a feature?
Gatsby

Postby PadawanLotto » Wed May 29, 2013 5:31 pm

When you upgraded to Windows 8 did you get a disk or download? Your Windows 8 should have the option to run 32bit and 64bit like Windows 7.

I see you are playing EuroMillions the odds are 1 in 116,531,800 for a jackpot working with that many combinations is really going take the computer a long time to calculate anyway.
PadawanLotto

Postby Gatsby » Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi Padawan

Thanks for your reply. I will check.

As for EM i only use bónus 1 and 2, so the number of combinations is 2.118.760

The main problema is with combined stats. As for the rest the calculations aren´t so slow.

But, just out of curiosity and just to understand, what is the reason for the slowesness of the program when dealing with combined stats?

Thanks
Gatsby

Postby stan » Fri May 31, 2013 1:57 pm

Gatsby wrote:But, just out of curiosity and just to understand, what is the reason for the slowesness of the program when dealing with combined stats?

I'll check the code if there's anything to make it faster.
What particular stats do you combine together?
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Stan,

I appreciated.

I combine for example ticket positions with: sum root; Bonus Balls; Sum Last Digit;

Sum Root with: odd/even; Low/High

Max in colum + Sum Root
Max in Row + Sum Root

AC with SR and SLD

Etc. All adjustable to some latest period of draws.

BTW: nevermind the red coloring of failed backtest filters, i was not using the dev build...
Gatsby

Postby Gatsby » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi Stan

I´ve upgraded to a 8 core processor and have a 64 bit system and java 64 bit , but still the application freezes when it comes to deal with combined stats. I´ve changed the config file to "-J-Xmx2g . I´ve 4 g of RAM.

default_options="--branding expertlotto -J-Xmx2g -J-Dapple.laf.use

Should i have more RAM? will this result or should i do something else? BTW when i use try to use the combined stats filter i´ve in the performance tab more or less 400 mb.

Thanks
Gatsby

Postby stan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Gatsby wrote:Hi Stan

I´ve upgraded to a 8 core processor and have a 64 bit system and java 64 bit , but still the application freezes when it comes to deal with combined stats. I´ve changed the config file to "-J-Xmx2g . I´ve 4 g of RAM.

default_options="--branding expertlotto -J-Xmx2g -J-Dapple.laf.use

Should i have more RAM? will this result or should i do something else? BTW when i use try to use the combined stats filter i´ve in the performance tab more or less 400 mb.

Thanks

I thinking -Xmx2g is a bit too much if you have only 4GB of ram. The operating system also needs a lot of memory to run. The optimum in your case would be -Xmx1000m or -Xmx1500
Also did you adjust the number of execution threads in Tools - Options - Misc - Execution? You should set it to "6" or "7"

Also please open your lottery folder and go to ".settings" subfolder. There should be file statscombinations.properties - please email it to me. It contains the list of your combined stats. I'll check if any particular of them is making problems. And email me which lottery you play so I can reproduce your problem, thanks.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Should be fixed in today's app update. Please let me know if you still have any problem with combined stats.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Stan,

What can i say without thanks! No problem at all running combined stats now.

PS: most of us EL users do this more or as less an hobby (as is very difficult to catch a jackpot) but you are allways in our help when trying new approaches or ideas. I´m sure there is no other program who comes near to this software or to your assistance. This program doesn´t promisse anything but sure does put many barriers down to our testing, so thanks again for all your effort and good work.

Best regards,

F.
Gatsby

Return to Anything Else