WN History "Predictions" Setting

WN History "Predictions" Setting

Postby Bobijohn » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:53 am

Hi Stan

In Preferences/Wn History there is a setting for the number of rows. I believe the default setting is 200. That is fine and works well with the charts and tables. However, the related predictions apparently also use this setting. In some cases I get N/A in some of the sums or differences columns. with this setting at 200. If I increase this setting to 500 then I get real numbers. In other words, your predictor is tied to this setting.

It seems to me that the prediction results would be much improved if it used the max size of the data base -- or, maybe, up to say a thousand rows less 50 or 60 for initial normalization.

Just trying to improve the predictions.
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:24 pm

i guess it might be different for each lottery. for example if the lottery commission changed the drawing machines two years ago, then it makes little sense to base predictions on draws older than two years.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:19 pm

Maybe. As I understand it, at least here in the States. most Lottery Commissions use several drawing machines and different ball sets from draw to draw. They also, run pretests and check for randomness. For those interested, go here for an example and brief explanation.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/d ... sults.html

All that means is that our prediction process has to handle that as a handicap. For example, use more tolerance in the results and, perhaps more data.

More data, up to a point, is generally better than less data for most prediction algorithms. I have not seen one complain of too much data, only not enough data.

Anyway, I don't find getting N/A's to be helpful so thought this might be something worth looking into to improve functionality.

Great program. Many thanks for all your hard work.
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:34 am

i agree, but i'll leave it up to each user to adjust their settings to fit their needs. it'll be mentioned in the new documentation though.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Having the User's adjust their settings is, in most cases, fine. However, the problem in this case is that after making the adjustment you have to exit the program and re-enter. Any work, except packages, is lost -- and -- the tables and graphs have become huge. This is an unfortunate.

In concept, this is something that needs careful consideration. After all, improving the prediction process and having something easy to manipulate and convenient to use is, IMHO, what Lotto programs are all about.

I offer all this in a constructive sense and not as a criticism. Expert Lottto Pro is already a very excellent program.

Thanx again for your hard work and consideration.
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:05 pm

no problem with criticism here ;-)

the use can adjust the number of draws in preferences to e.g. 1000 and then use the winning numbers selection panel to work with the latest xx draws only as they may seem fit.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:17 pm

That is great guidance.

If you select the number of draws in preferences (say to a 1000) and you set the number of drawings to work with (your xxx = 40) the numbers in the tables of course change. Is the predictor now working with only 40 rows or all 1000 even though you don't see them?

Thanx
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:55 am

[quote=Bobijohn]
That is great guidance.

If you select the number of draws in preferences (say to a 1000) and you set the number of drawings to work with (your xxx = 40) the numbers in the tables of course change. Is the predictor now working with only 40 rows or all 1000 even though you don't see them?

Thanx
[/quote]

the predictor works only with draws from the selection panel
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:42 am

Thanks Stan. All of this has been most helpful. Please keep up the great work.
Bobijohn

Return to BETA versions