4.1 BETA (since build 432)

Postby Maryland » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:39 am

Redownloaded and got the same thing.
Maryland

Postby stan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:48 am

[quote=Maryland]
Stan, I can use the ticket generator and 10 numbers which is 252 tickets hit the match winning numbers filter and I don't even get the popup box for the filter to pick anything just a hour glass. Going to redownload the last build and try again, maybe it was corrupted on download.
[/quote]

i'm a bit confused now ;-)
does it mean that the 'match winning numbers' filter works fine when used in the ticket generator but is extremely slow/doesn't work when used on tickets in the package?

btw, it's very unlikely that the downloaded expertlotto.jar would get corrupted and expert lotto would start anyway...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby zz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:23 pm

[quote=stan]
[quote=zz]
Stan , I tried in previous versions match file filter for some keno and it was extremely fast - generating (filtering) thousands of tickets per second even for a quite big match files. With this newer versions it seems it's drastically slower even for smaller lotteries - generating just a few tickets per second. In your opinion how fast generating -filtering tickets with using match file filter should be?
[/quote]

i don't have any benchmark data.

the speed really depends on the 'match' you're looking for. for example looking for 'match 3' or 'match 2' is generally very fast as it is very likely to be found at the beginning of the match file.
on the other hand looking for 'match 10' or 'match 9' (keno lotteries) is much slower because it's less probable that such a match will be found in the match file. it means that the whole (or almost whole) match file must be scanned for each ticket in the package.

but if you can see lower filtering performance for the same match settings in the last build than in the previous builds then it's a bug and i'll try to fix it.
[/quote]
It seems that filtering using match file filter for keno works much much faster than for 6/49, but I think still slower than in some previous .jar I tried. I just copied over the newest jars so I don’t have a clue which one was extremely fast for that keno when I tried it last time. I wanted to generate combinations using a match file filter and I was really surprised how fast it was. I haven't tried this filter for the 6/49 before so don't know how fast or slow it was .
Also for some keno games I tried while filtering a package using the match file filter it shows just the progress bar line without numbers tickets filtered/out of total while for 6/49 shows both progress bar line and progress expressed in numbers
zz

Postby stan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:05 pm

i'm not aware of any changes that could hurt filter performance in the last few builds.

i'm planning to do some profiling and checking for memory leaks to try to improve the overall performance. but getting version 4.1 is currently the top priority.
now i'm down to the last new feature - online lottery download and online application updates. then we must bring the help pages up to date and it's done. :cool:
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Maryland » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:53 pm

Quote by Maryland:
Stan, I can use the ticket generator and 10 numbers which is 252 tickets hit the match winning numbers filter and I don't even get the popup box for the filter to pick anything just a hour glass. Going to redownload the last build and try again, maybe it was corrupted on download.

i'm a bit confused now
does it mean that the 'match winning numbers' filter works fine when used in the ticket generator but is extremely slow/doesn't work when used on tickets in the package?

btw, it's very unlikely that the downloaded expertlotto.jar would get corrupted and expert lotto would start anyway...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here I go again, if I put say 30 tickets or 200 tickets in package then hit match winning numbers filter I don't even get the popup box for that filter.
Maryland

Postby stan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:18 am

[quote=Maryland]
Ok here I go again, if I put say 30 tickets or 200 tickets in package then hit match winning numbers filter I don't even get the popup box for that filter.
[/quote]

yes, this is by design. if the operation is fast enough (under a few seconds) then there's no window with progress bar.
check the status bar under the main application window, it'll show a message how many tickets were filtered out and how many are left in the package.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Maryland » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:51 pm

Hey Stan it was the user.properties file like you said per our email. I deleted it and the filter worked like charm :-D

Thanx
Maryland

beta build 470 download + feature freeze

Postby stan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:38 pm

Build 470 is now available for dowload with the following updates:

* some small bug fixes
* minor improvements to application user interface
* enhanced lottery manager window. it now supports lottery backups and deletion and it's also possible to download new lotteries directly from our website
* it's possible to download new and updated plugins directly from our website (menu 'lottery - preferences - plugins - download more'). but you can't use this feature at the moment as all the plugins must be updated for the new 4.1 framework first
* it's possible to check for, download and install new expert versions directly from our website. however since you're all running the latest beta version you won't be able to test this feature anyway. ;-)

these are the last new features for version 4.1.0. from now on i'll be adding only bug fixes, all other requested new features will be available in version 4.1.1 or later.

pls keep using/testing the latest beta version and keep reporting bugs.
thanx!
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Trust » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:47 pm

Hi!

Found a bug in The number range filter-the difference of neighbouring
numbers value seems to lock or freeze in one value(Not able to change
the value in the box)Build 470.
Trust

Postby stan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:01 pm

[quote=Trust]
Hi!

Found a bug in The number range filter-the difference of neighbouring
numbers value seems to lock or freeze in one value(Not able to change
the value in the box)Build 470.
[/quote]

well, i don't know how to reproduce this. maybe try deleting the 'user.properties' file in your lottery dir. or rather email that file to me so that i can fix the bug.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Trust » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:31 pm

Deleted the user properties file and tried again it worked for a while-
but setting the value to minimum and switching from "every to "any"
or the opposite locked the value to 1.So this seems to trigger the
freezing of the value in some way?
Trust

Postby stan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:08 pm

thanx for the info, trust, i'll look into it
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby zz » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:37 am

[quote=stan:1112083769]
[quote=zz]
Stan , I tried in previous versions match file filter for some keno and it was extremely fast - generating (filtering) thousands of tickets per second even for a quite big match files. With this newer versions it seems it's drastically slower even for smaller lotteries - generating just a few tickets per second. In your opinion how fast generating -filtering tickets with using match file filter should be?
[/quote]

i don't have any benchmark data.

the speed really depends on the 'match' you're looking for. for example looking for 'match 3' or 'match 2' is generally very fast as it is very likely to be found at the beginning of the match file.
on the other hand looking for 'match 10' or 'match 9' (keno lotteries) is much slower because it's less probable that such a match will be found in the match file. it means that the whole (or almost whole) match file must be scanned for each ticket in the package.

but if you can see lower filtering performance for the same match settings in the last build than in the previous builds then it's a bug and i'll try to fix it.
[/quote]

Still thinking something may be wrong with 6/49 and match file since is extremely slower with smaller match file than for keno with bigger and more complicated match file.However, hope it's not some bug in keno so from that reason it is much faster. And also, there is a huge difference in keno between filtering the package using the match filter, which is extremely slow and generating tickets using the match file filter which seems to be greatly faster.

But, never mind, there is an actual bug in keno- generate 10 tickets using random numbers - use a match file filter- it says loading 1/10,2/10,3/10 etc 10/10 tickets into package, it finished generating but loaded no tickets into the package.
zz

Postby stan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:26 pm

yes, i'm aware of the problem with the progress bar label. it shows how many steps are finished from the overall operation rather than the number of tickets actually written to the package.

the problem is that when a filter is used in the ticket generator then the number of tickets that match the filter settings is not known beforehand. so i can't display "3/xx".

but i'll try to enhance the progess indicator to include the number of tickets actually stored in the package.

as for the application speed when playing different lotteries - the same code and algorithm is used for all lottery types. there are no exceptions like 'if keno then do this else if 6/49 then do that'.
if you can post some examples with match files and match filter settings then i can analyze why one lottery filters may seem slower than the other.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby zz » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:54 pm

[quote=stan]
yes, i'm aware of the problem with the progress bar label. it shows how many steps are finished from the overall operation rather than the number of tickets actually written to the package.
[/quote]

I tried this the first time and the problem was it said it loading tickets -1/10,2/10 etc, finished generating tickets but didn't loaded any into the package - the package was empty.

[quote=stan]

as for the application speed when playing different lotteries - the same code and algorithm is used for all lottery types. there are no exceptions like 'if keno then do this else if 6/49 then do that'.
if you can post some examples with match files and match filter settings then i can analyze why one lottery filters may seem slower than the other.
[/quote]

Well, for any similarly complicated and similar number of lines match file - generate tickets using the match file filter is significantly faster in keno than in 6/49. That is the reason I hope it's not a bug in keno but possibly in 6/49.

As for faster generating tickets using the match file than filtering a package, I supose that is OK because there is reading from only one file while it generates tickets- generate and compare them to the match file which makes it faster, while when filtering a package there is reading from two files - reading and comparing both the package and mach file.
zz

PreviousNext

Return to BETA versions