Release dates

Release dates

Postby Falcon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:04 am

found the bug (thanks for your log files), new version will be available in a moment...

Hi Stan,

I wonder as a bit of housekeeping you might be able to include the release date with any new update or correction.

The latest release of 970/971 has caused me no end of problem so much so that I have had to do an uninstall and start again, but I still have no idea if I have the corrected version as per your comment above or the faulty 970 release. Thus I have reverted to a previous release to ensure the program remains operational with all the functions and processes I use. The alternative to release dates would be for corrections to increment the
version number ie should we now be on 972?
r

falcon
Falcon

Postby stan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:41 pm

there's build number in application's about box...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Falcon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:00 am

Yes Stan, familiar with that.
It was just with this latest release of Ver 970/971 I got the impression there was bug in the initial release and then you made the comment re new version available in a moment, so with that I wasn't sure which release I had as the corrected version still carried the same version number. Perhaps 970.0 or 970.1 might allow us to know if we have the latest.

cheers

falcon
Falcon

Postby Bobijohn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Yep. I have also made this suggestion after encountering a similar problem.

http://www.expertlotto.com/en/forum/forum.php?req=thread&id=721#6822

bj
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:02 pm

i think it'll be better to automated online update for beta versions. so you'll just click a menu, expert lotto will connect to our web server and download and install the latest beta version for you. this way you'll be always sure that you're using the latest beta version. it's already on my list and will be implemented soon (hopefully:)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:23 am

Hi Stan

With due respect I really caution against your suggested automated approach. If there is a problem you will have more users scrambling back to the last version that worked for them. How would they download that if they did not keep a copy or were unable to because of the automated procedure. It may also put added pressure on you to solve the problem quickly. And, as you keep adding features it becomes more difficult to foresee the potential problems caused elsewhere in the program.

I generally like to lag one Beta version behind the latest in case there are problems or, the latest includes a change I have requested, in which case I am anxious to test it.

I envision a link to a page that has the latest Beta version listed (Including the download link) with a description of the included changes. The page should also have the latest stable "Beta" (e.g.: 968) with its download link for anyone that needs to go back accordingly. The actual downloaded file should have the Build no in it's name, e.g. ExpertLotto_BBuild_xxx. This would help avoid confusion in the actual download and also when maneuvering the file on the Users' machine, e.g.: to "Lib:", archive or whatever.

Just my thoughts. I am sure other's will have their opinions too.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:09 pm

good point, bobijohn
in an ideal world there'd be a stable and *official* release every month or two. but that would mean keeping documentation and help pages up to date which unfortunately i don't have time for...
i'll think about the release and distribution process some more...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to BETA versions