build 988 - multithreading support

Postby CSenior » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:13 pm

CARBOB~ Not automatically. Please re-read the first post on this thread so you can set your app.properties file correctly.
CSenior

Postby CARBOB » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks CSenior, BTW thanks for the link for Cache cleaning!!!
CARBOB

Postby CARBOB » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:17 pm

[quote=CARBOB]
[quote=Maryland]
[quote=stan]
build 990/991 is available for download, pls read more here:
http://www.expertlotto.com/en/download/beta.htm#news

if you want to have more than two filtering threads then add the following line to your app.properties:
[m]multithreading.filter.threads=4[/m]

the segments calculator now shows the latest segment with red background, the multiple wnh segments filter has 'count passing tickets' button which produces a text file showing how many tickets have the first segment combination, how many have the first two segment combinations, the first three etc.
[/quote]

Stan, That's exactly what I wanted. Guess I didn't explain right.

Thank you
Thank you :gun:
[/quote]

Does the new build automatically use multithreading? I have a dual core>
[/quote]

I also noticed that the CPU is operating at 50% of it's value with the filtering running. I would think, it would be operating at a higher value. Will someone who has a dual core, let me know if that's ok, or is there a problem. The CPU is 2G.
CARBOB

Postby CSenior » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:11 am

CARBOB~ Since you are at 50% CPU it seems you are only using a single thread. Go back into the app.properties file and make sure you have the following settings:

multithreading.filter=true
filter.ticketbatch.size=1000
multithreading.filter.threads=2

Save the file with the new changes then restart EL, load a package, then run a filter and you should hear your CPU fan sound a little louder after a few minutes of the filter running.

Let us know how it goes.
CSenior

Postby CARBOB » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:37 am

[quote=CSenior]
CARBOB~ Since you are at 50% CPU it seems you are only using a single thread. Go back into the app.properties file and make sure you have the following settings:

Save the file with the new changes then restart EL, load a package, then run a filter and you should hear your CPU fan sound a little louder after a few minutes of the filter running.

Let us know how it goes.
[/quote]

Thanks for your help. That was the problem, I thought I saved it previously. I was attempting to load a full package 5/36 with 50,000 segment filters to see how long it would take. I have a feeling it's a very long time.
CARBOB

Postby stan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:44 am

[quote=CARBOB]
[/quote]

yes, there are two filtering threads by default (even on single-core machines) - unless you adjust it in app.properties....
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby CARBOB » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:09 pm

[quote=stan]
[quote=CARBOB]
[/quote]

yes, there are two filtering threads by default (even on single-core machines) - unless you adjust it in app.properties....
[/quote]

Stan, thanks for responding. I have a question on the correct way to use the Multisegment Filter. After loading a package, do you click Count Passing Tickets or OK or Apply. The reason I'm asking this, is today I loaded a package, clicked the Count Passing Tickets and it started processing 1 ticket at a time. I stopped it, checked the APP file, everything was OK. Reloaded the package, Filter, OK and still processing was 1 ticket at a time. I must be doing something stupid or my computer is haywire. Everytime I checked the CPU meter, it was at 51%.
CARBOB

Postby stan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:40 pm

[quote=CARBOB]
[quote=stan]
[quote=CARBOB]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Stan, thanks for responding. I have a question on the correct way to use the Multisegment Filter. After loading a package, do you click Count Passing Tickets or OK or Apply. The reason I'm asking this, is today I loaded a package, clicked the Count Passing Tickets and it started processing 1 ticket at a time. I stopped it, checked the APP file, everything was OK. Reloaded the package, Filter, OK and still processing was 1 ticket at a time. I must be doing something stupid or my computer is haywire. Everytime I checked the CPU meter, it was at 51%.
[/quote]

'count passing tickets' just produces some stats in a text file about how many tickets pass each segment combination. it's not multithreaded.

the actual filter should be multithreaded but i'm not sure right now. i'll have to check the source code later on.
you may check your app.properties that you have two or more filtering threads specified and that you have multi-threading turned on (there's a true/false switch for that, see my previous posts).
also, app.properties must be modified and saved when expert lotto is not running. otherwise your changes will be overwritten.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Stan, My APP File!!

Postby CARBOB » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:00 pm

#Expert Lotto Properties
#Wed Apr 09 09:57:38 EDT 2008
application.look_and_feel=com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.Plastic3DLookAndFeel
show_memory_meter=false
lottery.default=florida_fantasy_5
proxy.username=
proxy.set=false
PlasticPlugin.installed=true
show_print_options=true
proxy.password=
proxy.host=
print.table.scale=75
proxy.port=
proxy.usepassword=false
CARBOB

Postby stan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:07 pm

[quote=CARBOB]
#Expert Lotto Properties
#Wed Apr 09 09:57:38 EDT 2008
application.look_and_feel=com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.Plastic3DLookAndFeel
show_memory_meter=false
lottery.default=florida_fantasy_5
proxy.username=
proxy.set=false
PlasticPlugin.installed=true
show_print_options=true
proxy.password=
proxy.host=
print.table.scale=75
proxy.port=
proxy.usepassword=false
[/quote]

alright, it looks i'll have to enhance that filter to support multithreading then:)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Sledge » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Stan,

Sorry if this has been asked I've been busy and have not had a chance to go through all the posts yet.

With the multi-threading I've noticed on some filters it will peg all 4 cores at 100% and other filters I get about 90% cpu usage.

Back testing and simulating I only get a single core being used...Is this normal behavior for now ?
Sledge

Postby stan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:45 pm

[quote=Sledge]
Stan,

Sorry if this has been asked I've been busy and have not had a chance to go through all the posts yet.

With the multi-threading I've noticed on some filters it will peg all 4 cores at 100% and other filters I get about 90% cpu usage.

Back testing and simulating I only get a single core being used...Is this normal behavior for now ?
[/quote]

it is normal. only package filtering (some coverage filters are not multithreaded yet) and stats are multithreaded. the rest of the features run in a single threaded as before.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:43 pm

build 999/1000 (a small jubilee:) is available for download

read more here: http://www.expertlotto.com/en/download/beta.htm#news
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Falcon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:41 am

you can also adjust another parameter in app.properties file:
which specifies how many tickets are loaded as a batch into memory and processed in each filter thread. the default value is 1000, if you find a better value (by experimenting and timing how long the filter takes to execute), pls let me know and i'll change the default value.

Wondered if anyone has adjusted ticket batch size and if so is there an optimum value?

thanks

falcon
Falcon

Postby stan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:55 pm

[quote=Falcon]
you can also adjust another parameter in app.properties file:
which specifies how many tickets are loaded as a batch into memory and processed in each filter thread. the default value is 1000, if you find a better value (by experimenting and timing how long the filter takes to execute), pls let me know and i'll change the default value.

Wondered if anyone has adjusted ticket batch size and if so is there an optimum value?

[/quote]

well, you can run a simple benchmark yourself - pick a filter, generate full package, run the filter and time it. then change the batch size to a different value and compare times. but i'd expect any potential performance improvements to be very minor
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Previous

Return to BETA versions