Multiple Segments Filter - Parsing Error

Multiple Segments Filter - Parsing Error

Postby Bobijohn » Sat May 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Stan,

After working successfully with many large segment worksheets ( >3000 lines) in Excel it will occasionally blip when creating the csv file for input into the Multiple Segments Combination filter. A cursory look at the csv file will probably not reveal the error. However, on import into the Multiple Segments Filter and clicking on Count Passing Tickets you will get an error pop-up as shown in the attached Pic_1. This pop-up extends across my dual monitors and beyond. EL is now locked-up. The only recourse is to Ctrl-alt-delete EL. No need to reboot. Recreate the csv file, re-start EL and everything works fine.

Of course the error in creating the csv file is not a fault of EL. However, I thought you would be interested to know what happens when trying to import a corrupt csv file which results in a parsing error. Perhaps, a little of your programming wizardry could prevent the whole program from locking up. Please check the attached Pic.

Bobijohn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Sun May 18, 2008 7:43 pm

ok, i'll add some safeguards against very long error messages:)
btw, next time you can try pressing esc key, the error message should go away then
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks Stan -- Will do. Next time will keep and send you the corrupt csv file just for your info. Last time I just deleted it immediately and did a re-create.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Tue May 20, 2008 11:25 am

btw, judging from the error message i'd say that you didn't save the file in csv format but in excel's binary format instead...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Tue May 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Maybe – but I don’t think so as I usually make sure of the extension – easy to see since I have a whole series of them (.csv files) together in one folder. I didn’t change anything and went straight back and did a re-create after I got the message and all worked just fine. I’ll watch for that though if/when it occurs again.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby Bobijohn » Wed May 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Stan,

Picking up on your “binaryâ€￾ comment above begs the following question. If the input was intentionally made binary, and assuming the Multiple Segment Filter was made to accept that, would there be a worth while performance gain – especially in large spreadsheets of say >1000 lines? As we know, this filter can take a very long time to run on large spreadsheets.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Wed May 28, 2008 10:38 pm

i can't read excel's binary format from java. i need some special library for that.
anyway, the input format doesn't matter as the segment combinations are loaded into the ram memory just once when filtering starts
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Bobijohn » Fri May 30, 2008 3:29 am

Stan. Thank you for the response and explanation.

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Return to BETA versions