Java Performance: Ubuntu Linux vs Windows Vista

Java Performance: Ubuntu Linux vs Windows Vista

Postby Bobijohn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Folks

I have posted this reference for those interested in a possible performance gain.

Here is the link --> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ance&num=1

They conclude in part as follows

"Well, Java on Ubuntu was pretty much the hands-down winner compared to Microsoft Windows Vista Premium SP1. Running the Java tests on Ubuntu had experienced significant advantages when it came to file encryption, Fast Fourier Transforms, Successive Over Relaxation, Monte Carlo, and the composite Java SciMark performance. In only the Sunflow test were the results between Ubuntu and Windows even close. With the Java 2D Microbenchmark, Windows was faster but that likely falls on the Intel Linux graphics driver having little in the way of performance optimizations and Java on Linux not yet utilizing the X Render extension.

Comparing Sun's Java and OpenJDK / IcedTea on Ubuntu had roughly the same performance between the two except for a few areas (FFT and Monte Carlo) where the official JVM was noticeably faster.

These six tests didn't stress all areas of the Java stack, but it provides a brief look at where the Java performance is between Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista. Also keep in mind that we were using the stock packages available by default in each operating system, which had very slight differences between them. To share your thoughts on Java, stop by the Phoronix Forums."

Is anybody running Expert Lotto on a Linux platform?

Any comments Stan?

Cheers

Bobijohn
Bobijohn

Postby stan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:53 pm

the results are quite surprising. i would have expected more or less equal performance.
but i'd like to see more surveys before jumping to conclusions.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Anything Else