Max(-), Max(+) & Sim= Please Explain.

Max(-), Max(+) & Sim= Please Explain.

Postby Howard » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Am gradually working my way through the program and while I after some hard thought in many cases I can figure out what's going on I sometimes get stuck. The above referenced function is such an area. I think I need a more concrete example so using the Expert Lotto 6/49 database please explain where the Max/Min/Sim numbers come from.
Where for example I add the first 6 numbers appearing in the first coulumn i.e. 7,3,6,25,8, &,22 that when added toghether or subtracted from another number expecting to get a "Max-" 71 which appears to have no other relationship to any other number that would give me a Max(-)=112. Similarly when I add the top row six numbers acoss I get a total of 136 -- again a number having no apparent relationship to the Max(-)= on the upper right hand side of the chart.

Similarly, with regard to Max(+) adding the first six numbers from the bottom up and to the right does not appear to give me a positive number that can be correlated with any other number in the chart to produce the "Max(+)=43" number found in your manual. I find the Sim=15 number completely baffling.

I have searched here on line and while I have found some references at 01/03 & 04/2005 and in one other location. However, neither of these help me much with this piece of my understanding. Accordingly any additional explaination, pictures of examples would be most appreciated.
Howard

Postby stan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:02 pm

max(-) is the lowest possible difference for the given segment sizes
max(+) is the highest possible difference
sim is the difference of numbers entered in the simulation edit fields at the bottom of the page
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Howard » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 am

Let me begin by saying that I hit the wrong button so I apologize if this post shows up twice.

In any event, thanks Stan for the prompt reply but still don't understand. I think I need a walk through on this one. To illustrate, the help manual referring to the history difference chart states"

"Max(-) = provides the maximum negative difference which could arise should the last six numbers from the table list are drawn.

Sim = provides numerical value of the future difference resulting from the simulated ticket.

Max (+) = provides the maximum possible value of difference which could arise should the numbers in the first 6 positions in the appropriate table are drawn."

Your reply is:

max(-) is the lowest possible difference for the given segment sizes

sim is the difference of numbers entered in the simulation edit fields at the bottom of the page"

To illustrate what I am not understanding if one looks at the upper right hand portion of the example chart on the "winning numbers page" of the help file there is a "Max(-)=-112". What are the "given" (i.e. where in the example are they given) "segment" (i.e. what is a segmentand were in the example chart are the group of numbers representing the segments?)where or what numbers and how does one calculate the lowest; what numbers or group of numbers in the help file example are added together to get the max(-)=-112.

Again using the help file example there are values in the upper right hand portion of the example chart of "Max(+)=43" and "m=15". Applying the same questions as is set forth in the above illustraition, please advise as to what (6) numbers or what segements in the chart I have to add, subtract or otheriwise combine to arrive at these values used in the example chart. If you could kinda point me to the numbers or I believe (or at least hope) I will understand the process.

Again, Thanks.

HHS
Howard

Postby PadawanLotto » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:23 am

Howard, stan's post had a typo and should have read like this.

min(-) is the lowest possible difference for the given segment sizes
sim is the difference of numbers entered in the simulation edit fields at the bottom of the page

In the WN History page, in the History Differences row 1 in column 0 is the last drawn numbers, if you are working with a 6/49 game row 1 in column 0 will always show the last 6 numbers drawn, this is your Max Difference which will always be Max +43. In a 6/49 the highest the Max difference can be is 43 in any column.

Now, from the last row moving up the rows count 6 numbers these last 6 numbers make up the extreme Min difference which is not limited to any range it can be -40 to -140 or less depending on how many rows there are.

Working with a 6/49 row 1 in column 0 is 49-6=43. Numbers in row 2 subtract 1 for each number possible, row 3 subtract 2 for each number possible and so on.

Row 1 is 49-6=43
Row 2 subtract 1 for each number.
Row 3 subtract 2 for each number.
Row 4 subtract 3 for each number.
Row 5 subtract 4 for each number.
Row 6 subtract 5 for each number.
Row 7 subtract 6 for each number.
Row 8 subtract 7 for each number.
Row 9 subtract 8 for each number.
Row 10 subtract 9 for each number.
Row 24 subtract 23 for each number.

So you are always starting out with the Max Difference of 43 no matter what. If the next numbers drawn come from row 1, row 2, row 4, 2#'s from row 5, and 1 from row 24 you woud figure it like this.
Row 1=43, 43-row 2=42, 42-row 4=39, 39-2#'s from row 4=33, 33-row 5=29, 29-row 24=6. So for the column we were working in the drawn difference was +6.

Row 1 always 43 in a 6/49, the following row numbers will be 1 less than their face value. Good an confused now? The game that you play will determine row 1's value, total numbers possible in the game you're playing minus the amount of numbers drawn (49-6=43), (39-5=34), (36-5=31).

The Simulation shows you the Min and Max possible differences, you would most likely never find a columns next drawn difference to be +43 or the Min difference to be all of the last 6 numbers in any single column.

Good an lost now aren't we. I hope this helps I'm not real good at explaining things sometimes.

Padawan
PadawanLotto

Postby stan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:15 pm

thanks for your nice explanation padawan:)
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby CARBOB » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:39 pm

[quote=PadawanLotto]
Howard, stan's post had a typo and should have read like this.

min(-) is the lowest possible difference for the given segment sizes

In the WN History page, in the History Differences row 1 in column 0 is the last drawn numbers, if you are working with a 6/49 game row 1 in column 0 will always show the last 6 numbers drawn, this is your Max Difference which will always be Max +43. In a 6/49 the highest the Max difference can be is 43 in any column.

Now, from the last row moving up the rows count 6 numbers these last 6 numbers make up the extreme Min difference which is not limited to any range it can be -40 to -140 or less depending on how many rows there are.

Working with a 6/49 row 1 in column 0 is 49-6=43. Numbers in row 2 subtract 1 for each number possible, row 3 subtract 2 for each number possible and so on.

Row 1 is 49-6=43
Row 2 subtract 1 for each number.
Row 3 subtract 2 for each number.
Row 4 subtract 3 for each number.
Row 5 subtract 4 for each number.
Row 6 subtract 5 for each number.
Row 7 subtract 6 for each number.
Row 8 subtract 7 for each number.
Row 9 subtract 8 for each number.
Row 10 subtract 9 for each number.
Row 24 subtract 23 for each number.

So you are always starting out with the Max Difference of 43 no matter what. If the next numbers drawn come from row 1, row 2, row 4, 2#'s from row 5, and 1 from row 24 you woud figure it like this.
Row 1=43, 43-row 2=42, 42-row 4=39, 39-2#'s from row 4=33, 33-row 5=29, 29-row 24=6. So for the column we were working in the drawn difference was +6.

Row 1 always 43 in a 6/49, the following row numbers will be 1 less than their face value. Good an confused now? The game that you play will determine row 1's value, total numbers possible in the game you're playing minus the amount of numbers drawn (49-6=43), (39-5=34), (36-5=31).

The Simulation shows you the Min and Max possible differences, you would most likely never find a columns next drawn difference to be +43 or the Min difference to be all of the last 6 numbers in any single column.

Good an lost now aren't we. I hope this helps I'm not real good at explaining things sometimes.

Padawan
[/quote]

Not good at explaining things?? You and Jerzy, both do an excellent job at explaining the functions of EL. That's not to say that other members do a bad job, it's just that some of us, myself included, need more detailed instructions, like you just gave. That's something I just learned, never thought of it before. Thanks.
CARBOB

Postby PadawanLotto » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:00 am

Thanks CARBOB, here's something that I forgot to mention. In the columns other than column 0 row 1 can contain more numbers than the drawn amount. Say that there are 6 number drawn but column -8 row 1 has 9 numbers in it, the Max Diff is still 43 if playing a 6/49. Even so it is unlikely that all 6 numbers drawn will come from row 1 column -8. Here again column -1 row 1 only has 4 numbers, row 1 still has a diff value of 43 but if row 2 contains 2 or more numbers the Max Diff for column -1 would be 43-2=41 and 41 would be the Max diff for column-1. Just had to add that in there for Howard.

Padawan
PadawanLotto

Postby Howard » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:26 am

Guys:

Other matters press so I have only had a chance to scan your most recent replys. From the looks of it though I will not only certainly know where some of those numbers in the example come from but will also have a much enhanced understanding of the relation ship of the rows to one another and of how to use this part of the program to select numbers. Just wanted to quickly say thanks before moving on.

HHS
Howard

Postby Howard » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Padawan

I'm baaaack. Thanks for the help some of it Ihave acutually gotten with respect the help actually understanding the particularly the Max(+) feature in other games. An understanding of the Max(-) and Sim however continues to elude me even with your explaination. I think the way to get to that understanding is this.

First I would like to stay with the manual cause we all have that in common. In the manual example which uses column "-1" the Expert Lotto 6/49, "Max(-)"=-112 and "Sim" = 15.

Second in the example you provided using using column column "0" from the Expert Lotto 6/49 data base "Max(-)"=-80" and "Sim" = -4.

Third and staying with the Expert Lotto 6/49 datat base manual column "-2" of the returns values "Max(-)"=-109 and "Sim" = 15. Also this time the Max(+) has changed to "39". (In other columns I have also seen 41 and 49)

My goal here is twofold first I would like to understand how the "Max(-)" and "Sim" numbers were reached by the program and as far as the Max(-) and Sim values are concerned I can't seem to apply your explaination to reach those set forth in three columns Scenarios set forth above. If you could give me a walkthrough for how the values in the three column scenarios set forth above I am hoping I can then understand how the program reaches those values in games other then the 6/49 games. (E.g. 5/40 & 5/52.)

The second aspect of my goal is to understand how the values Max(-), Max(-) and Sim are relevant to making or fine tuning number selection decisions that are made using the non wheeling "Winning numbers history" method proposed in the manual. I would suppose based upon other parts of the manual that I have read that the method can be used even without understanding those values but all the same it is probably better to understand them. Help in this area would be most appreciated. Thanks.

HHS

PS. On another I have posted I have posted a request for "sum distributions" please take a look at that and help if you can.
Howard

Postby PadawanLotto » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:22 am

Using the Expert Lotto 6/49 data base column -1, Max(-)=-112, the coulmns value of 43 minus the difference values of the last 6 numbers in the column 10, 20, 09, 14, 17, 21. Enter the last 6 numbers of the column 10, 20, 09, 14, 17, 21 into the Draw Simulation and the Sim differences value will change to -112.

All columns have a value of 43, if there are 6 or more numbers in row 1 of any column the Max(+) will be 43. If row 1 has 5 numbers and row 2 has 1 or more numbers the math would be 43-1=44. In the case of column-2 row 1 has 2 numbers, the math would be 43-4=39 so you have Max(+)=39.
PadawanLotto

Return to Winning Numbers History